Am I the only 25 year married female that is...

agirly4chicks

Songster
10 Years
Feb 16, 2009
Hamilton, Georgia USA
raising 3 week old chicks that was not raied on a farm and neither was my husband? This is just something I wanted to try out. I work in the corporate world and people including some family and all our friends think we or shoud I say they think I am crazy.

Please tell me I am not the only 20 something getting into this for the first time.

I don;t think you are crazy, but I am the opposite end of the spectrum, lol... but I have come from the 3rd sector (Charity work) back to chickens.

I think it is the sanest thing to be doing.

I am sure there are plenty of 20 somethings here to agree.

Well I'm not in my 20's, but 34 and doing the same thing. My husband and I were both basically city/suburb people...never been around chickens or any other farm animals. We moved out to the country a few years ago and now we have 17 5-week-old chickies
big_smile.png
Yes, some of our friends and family think we have gone off the deep end, but others think it's awesome
thumbsup.gif

big_smile.png
We are in the same boat, both hubby and I are in our mid 20s, work, we are expecting our third kiddo, and we are desperate to find some land to move out of the suburbs. I was raised on some land but no farm animals, hubby was raised in the city, and our families think we are nuts
tongue2.gif
We also tore up a chunk of our backyard to put in a garden last year, it was kinda funny to hear my mom griping about it the last time we got together and my dad chimed in "leave her alone, we did the same thing" and he went into an anecdote about their garden at their first home.
duc.gif
<= mom
lol.png
<= me

Well, I don' think it is crazy at all. To me, its normal to have chickens!! They eat bugs and left overs and give you treats. You can even hold and hug them if you want. They put themselves away at bedtime. Perfect pets!
wee.gif

I'm right there with you as well!
I'm almost 23, raised in a city, DBF was raised on what used to be the family farm, but no animals. We now have our first 20 chickens and we're starting a garden this year, complete with a few cherry trees!
I'd love to have more animals but DBF doesn't want to be tied down to one spot and brought up the fact that I LOVE to travel. At least with the chickens they can either be re-homed or go into the freezer.
Goats and sheep and cows may prove more difficult when faced with a surprise getaway.

I was in my mid 30's when I decided from an Organic Gardening article that I wanted chickens! Family and friends still think I'm crazy 16 years later. My FIL told me that chickens stink and I wouldn't have them 4 months, well ha ha! I am finally getting more chickens (bantams) and building another coop. There will be no "empty nest" syndrome for me! Good luck with your chicks.

Nah, you are what the others call 'special'.
wink.png
... At least that's what my coworkers call me! I work as a software engineer, born and raised in an apartment, moved out to the country 3 and a half years ago and loving it. My wife came from a small town, also a software engineer, without any 'farming' experience. We are both 29.

My parents think I am nuts, my coworkers think I fell off of a tree, but the longer I live out of town the more I enjoy it.

I learned to cut my own firewood (tree felling and all!)
I restored a 100+ year old house by myself, redone everything from floor to ceiling, roofing, etc.
Started growing a semi-successful veggie garden...
Built a chicken-o-polish (aka, our coop) for our chickies... now we also raise quail and guineas!
I have already put an order in for pheasant & partridge as well.
Oh, and to top it all of: I went from driving a 2-door sports car, to a 4x4 pickup truck in that time as well! (that gets some weird looks here in Ottawa in my work's parking lot).
You don't even want to hear about my upcoming projects
big_smile.png

So, in short: No you are not insane. In fact, what you are doing it probably the sanest thing you can do in this day and age of super-fast-'food', preservatives and chemicals.... Well, at least that's my opinion. Just wait until you get some eggs! They just may change their 'tune'.

i am much older than you but wish I had found the joy that I have from having chicks and living a more enjoyable life so many years ago. Yes they will always call you crazy after any life style change that is not their idea. But you have it right. Enjoy everday outside your work and the work itself will be better and your life a whole lot more fruitful. Jean

Back
Top Bottom