Raising birds on concrete roof?

Photos of the coop-
View attachment 3593618
View attachment 3593619
It looks quite small in the pictures but its okay size. I will remove the partition fence in between to make it even bigger.

The roof-
View attachment 3593620
This photo is two years old.

I can probably clean up the area to make it bigger. The metal fenced up area is quite big and that acted as their run.
I'd fill the bottom of this cage with 6 inches of peat moss for the floor.

I'd not take the divider out if I were going to put quail in it.
You'd only want to keep one male quail per cage/side with about five or six females.

This cage with the 2 sides would be good for about 10-12 quail.

If you want to keep the chickens in it, I would only keep a handful of chickens and I still would fill it with dirt.

Last edited:
Bantams wouldn't survive the heat.
Why do you make such statement? I thinks Serama’s do great in warm weather. These small birds don’t tolerate freezing colds. I think it depends on the breed and where the chickens ancestors come from.
Are you suggesting to put a layer of moistured sand over all of the roof floor? That might not be possible.

Also do you mean bushes in flower pots?

And sedum is basically just moss right?
Correct me if im wrong.
Maybe not everywhere. But in principle yes. 10 cm thick if possible would be great.

Bushes in large pots are great to give natural shade. Natural shade from small trees, bushes or large plants (banana?) is cooler than shade from tarps or other fabrics.

I think sedum is easier in a sunny climate than moss or grasses. It keeps the coop cool and only beeds athin layer of sand. But underneath you should add a layer of EPDM or another fabric that’s reliable waterproof.

This does not look like a good environment for chickens.
I don’t know enough about quail to comment.
I would think you should consider something like pigeons. I don’t know much about them either except a friend’s father kept his on a roof in a hot country.
He built a beautiful aviary for them.
From memory his sometimes flew free but returned home in the evenings and my friend’s Dad would sit up on the roof and talk to them.

This does not look like a good environment for chickens.
I don’t know enough about quail to comment.
I would think you should consider something like pigeons. I don’t know much about them either except a friend’s father kept his on a roof in a hot country.
He built a beautiful aviary for them.
From memory his sometimes flew free but returned home in the evenings and my friend’s Dad would sit up on the roof and talk to them.
Raising pigeons is quite common where i live but its a pain to train them as far as i know. Most fly away and those who dont have their wing feathers cut and then trained to stay.
I dont really want to do all that.

Edit: pigeon battles are quite common here too so another thing im worried about is my pigeon getting caught while its flying free.

I'd fill the bottom of this cage with 6 inches of peat moss for the floor.

I'd not take the divider out if I were going to put quail in it.
You'd only want to keep one male quail per cage/side with about five or six females.

This cage with the 2 sides would be good for about 10-12 quail.

If you want to keep the chickens in it, I would only keep a handful of chickens and I still would fill it with dirt.
So raising quails on the roof wont be a problem if i make the coop cool enough?

Why do you make such statement? I thinks Serama’s do great in warm weather. These small birds don’t tolerate freezing colds. I think it depends on the breed and where the chickens ancestors come from.

Maybe not everywhere. But in principle yes. 10 cm thick if possible would be great.

Bushes in large pots are great to give natural shade. Natural shade from small trees, bushes or large plants (banana?) is cooler than shade from tarps or other fabrics.

I think sedum is easier in a sunny climate than moss or grasses. It keeps the coop cool and only beeds athin layer of sand. But underneath you should add a layer of EPDM or another fabric that’s reliable waterproof.
Warm weather yes. Continuous 100°+ weather on concrete. No.

Warm weather yes. Continuous 100°+ weather on concrete. No.
So you meant chickens in general and not specifically bantams. That explains.

I agree that keeping chickens on a concrete roof like in the picture is a no go with high temps.
That’s why I advice to change the concrete surface and heat exposure into something that will be a better environment for heat tolerant chickens with a nice layer of soil to scratch in and much more effective shade.

Well after reading all the comments here i dont think i can really raise chickens or any other animal in my house really.
Oh well thanks everyone for the help.

Back
Top Bottom