Raising birds on concrete roof?

Chuckenman

Chirping
Jun 23, 2021
Hello everyone,
First i would like to apologise if this is posted in the wrong section, i didnt know where else to post it. If you have any suggestions as to where i should move it, please do tell.
Now onto the main topic. I raised about 8-10 chickens two years ago on my concrete roof. It didnt go quite well, i was inexperienced and in the end i decided to sell them to a better home.
But for the last two years ive been feeling empty and ive been thinking about getting chickens, or any other bird that can be raised on the roof.

The question is, should I?

Is it okay to raise them on a concrete roof? I live in a very hot part of the world and since my roof is quite high up (about 50ft from the ground floor), the sun shines directly on the ground and it gets quite hot, "You cant walk without slippers on the roof " kinda hot.

Second thing is, theres no grass (obviously).

Third thing is, time.
Im quite busy most of the day and im free only in the morning from 6-7 and in the evening for like 30-45 mins.
I probably wont be able to give more than 1hr-1:30hr a day to them. That isnt saying i will neglect them.

Space could be a problem too.
I built a coop two years ago and i think its big enough for about 4 chickens. The roof space is medium size too.
Ill attach pictures of the roof and the coop as soon as i can.

One person in the BYC community two years ago told me i should consider raising quails rather than chickens, ive been considering that too.

Suggestions needed
Thanks.

Photos of the coop-
IMG_20210717_175503.jpg

IMG_20210717_175536.jpg

It looks quite small in the pictures but its okay size. I will remove the partition fence in between to make it even bigger.

The roof-
IMG_20210717_183736.jpg

This photo is two years old.

I can probably clean up the area to make it bigger. The metal fenced up area is quite big and that acted as their run.

It sure is important that you can add a layer of moistured sand for the chickens to scratch in. And some plants (bushes) you can keep on the roof for shade. Plus add a sedum roof on top of the coop to lower the heat.
If you can I would give it a try.

And considering the space, i think bantams are a better choice than bigger chickens. I have no experience with quails. @Kiki ?

It sure is important that you can add a layer of moistured sand for the chickens to scratch in. And some plants (bushes) you can keep on the roof for shade. Plus add a sedum roof on top of the coop to lower the heat.

And considering the space, i think bantams are a better choice than bigger chickens. I have no experience with quails. @Kiki ?
Bantams wouldn't survive the heat.

Are you suggesting to put a layer of moistured sand over all of the roof floor? That might not be possible.

Also do you mean bushes in flower pots?

And sedum is basically just moss right?
Correct me if im wrong.

Hello everyone,
First i would like to apologise if this is posted in the wrong section, i didnt know where else to post it. If you have any suggestions as to where i should move it, please do tell.
Now onto the main topic. I raised about 8-10 chickens two years ago on my concrete roof. It didnt go quite well, i was inexperienced and in the end i decided to sell them to a better home.
But for the last two years ive been feeling empty and ive been thinking about getting chickens, or any other bird that can be raised on the roof.

The question is, should I?

Is it okay to raise them on a concrete roof? I live in a very hot part of the world and since my roof is quite high up (about 50ft from the ground floor), the sun shines directly on the ground and it gets quite hot, "You cant walk without slippers on the roof " kinda hot.

Second thing is, theres no grass (obviously).

Third thing is, time.
Im quite busy most of the day and im free only in the morning from 6-7 and in the evening for like 30-45 mins.
I probably wont be able to give more than 1hr-1:30hr a day to them. That isnt saying i will neglect them.

Space could be a problem too.
I built a coop two years ago and i think its big enough for about 4 chickens. The roof space is medium size too.
Ill attach pictures of the roof and the coop as soon as i can.

One person in the BYC community two years ago told me i should consider raising quails rather than chickens, ive been considering that too.

Suggestions needed
Thanks.
You would need to research chickens and pick a breed that is heat hardy and not big on foraging.

Then you should definitely make it more appealing living space for chickens. I personally would turn the area into a garden space that is chicken friendly.

They need dirt to scratch and dust bathe in. The moist sand is a good idea because it's how they shed heat.

You could build few small frames, cover them with hardware cloth and plant seeds in them allowing the chickens to eat the young shoots as they sprout.

Those frames would also give you a place to throw the droppings from the chickens. Just throw in some PDZ to keep it from smelling bad. If you need to protect the floor underneath, put down a tarp or garden fabric barrier.

Adding some tall plants for shade, a fan for circulation and a water feature for them to cool their feet/drink from. A fountain on bricks or pavers in a small kiddy pool would be an easy set up.

You could make it a nice space to enjoy your off time that happens to house chickens.

You could easily put down some soil or bark chippings in the run. Put some planks or bricks down to keep it from spilling out. You need 3 or 4 inches deep. Think of it like a small raised garden bed. It looks shady there? Yes to big pots with palm trees in or shrubs to give more shade and lower the air temp. Maybe an awning or an umbrella. Several shallow water containers dotted around for them to stand in and drink. It could be a nice space for you and them. Don't let them free range on concrete and burn their feet.

Think about getting a mister if you get extreme heat.

My experience with bantams is that they are no different to large fowl in terms of heat and cold, so long as you mitigate things as suggested above: plants, soil, mister, shade, waterers.

I wouldn't recommend sand. It dries out really quickly and can burn feet. Also it smells when wet. Bark chippings or soil is cool and retains water. Check the roof can take the weight of a small garden plot.

Sedum is a succulent and forms mats of water retaining plants. You can grow it on a roof (so long as it can take the weight). I wouldn't bother so much, focus on keeping some of the ground damp and cool where the chickens will walk.

I wouldn't recommend sand. It dries out really quickly and can burn feet. Also it smells when wet. Bark chippings or soil is cool and retains water. Check the roof can take the weight of a small garden plot.

Sedum is a succulent and forms mats of water retaining plants. You can grow it on a roof (so long as it can take the weight). I wouldn't bother so much, focus on keeping some of the ground damp and cool where the chickens will walk.
Say i do find a way to keep the floor cool, what then? I want to know what other problems are there in raising birds on a concrete roof.

Back
Top Bottom