Am I the only 25 year married female that is...

I'm just a teenager and I've been raised in suburbia all my life. My grandparents used to have a couple of chickens a LONG time ago, but that was when my dad was 6 or 7, so he doesn't remember a thing!

Most of my family and friends think it's really cool that I'm raising chickens! This is totally new to me...until last month I had never even seen a baby chick in person!! lol

I think I can relate, I am 22, Married, l grew up in a leave it to beaver Nieghborhood with a white pickett fence. the only difference is that my husband grew up on a ranch, so he's not all into this like I am, because he grew up doing this all the time. I on the other hand am super excited, and he just sits there laughing at me bouncing of the walls
wee.gif
, checking my temp and humidity levels every 2 minutes, and spending every spare moment on this forum
caf.gif
! I Manage a Self Storage buisness, and live on site, so i'm home almost 24/7 this is a perfect thing to keep me from going crazy, although my Husband thinks it has made me crazy! LOL! I just read this to him and he is cracking up
lau.gif
, because he truly thinks I have gone Chicken CRAZY!
ya.gif

I am 25 years old I just started raising chickens last spring. My DH though i was joking when i first suggested the idea. Neither one of us have ever raised chickens although we are both from rural (well what a lot of people would consider rural) areas. But we are both having a blast and DH did a GREAt job at building his first chicken coop.
Little does he know he is about to build a second
wink.png

I am 25 years old I just started raising chickens last spring. My DH though i was joking when i first suggested the idea. Neither one of us have ever raised chickens although we are both from rural (well what a lot of people would consider rural) areas. But we are both having a blast and DH did a GREAt job at building his first chicken coop.
Little does he know he is about to build a second
wink.png

I'm turning 30 this year and have always lived in relatively medium sized towns, half suburb and half rural. My parents aren't really "animal people" though so I was allowed to have 1 pet at a time growing up. This meaning if I wanted a new pet I had to give the old one up. Over the years growing up I had several rabbits (at different times), 1 dog, 1 cat, 1 sheep, and 1 bantam. The sheep and the chicken came when I was in high school. First I brought home the bantam as a chick after we rescued it from under the coop at school where the rats were killing the chicks. We kept him for a few months but when he started crowing from 2am to 10pm, pretty much non-stop, my parents said he had to go so I gave him to a local farmer. Then I had my sheep for a few years but when I moved out with my then BF we went to an apartment and Jovite (my Dorset ram) went to another local farmer.

In 1999 I started raising rabbits in my apartment and that grew into a small show herd over the years, moving from place to place.

My DH was raised in a no pets home in a large suburb. I really introduced him to the joys of animal ownership. We met the year after I started raising the rabbits and he helped with the rabbits for a few years. Then I brought home a kitten which he instantly fell in love with, so that led to another kitten, and then an aging cat. Then added a horse, then 2 goats, and then the first chickens he had ever raised and really my first real chicken experience in 2007. All the while I have had my show bunnies but now I am selling out of rabbits to take some time off and work with the chickens. We had 10 in our original flock, 9 hens, 1 roo. Sold original roo when I got my 25 new chicks since I want only Wyandotte roos so I know that the eggs my W hens lay will be purebreds.

My family has been relatively supportive even if they really don't understand my wanting to have tons of animals. My DH's family thinks that I am totally nuts and I'm dragging their sweet boy into my craziness, lol!

Quote:
My husand thinks the same thing of me. We havn't even gotten the chicks yet. They come in mid April and I have already been looking around to get more.

I am 27 moved to the country last year. I wanted chickens, My wife took awhile to convince. When we went and got them last thursday my wife and kids loved the little chicks! I have 5 Buff Orphingtons pullets. I just read a couple books about chickens. My family thanks it is funny!

Back
Top Bottom