Am i the only one who has never ate a homegrown chicken?

i totally agree with everything u just said
smile.png
yeah finally someone who thinks exactly like me abt it
smile.png

to me if i ate one of my chickens it would be just like eating my dog or cat roflmao:) so not happening

I don't think that I could bring myself to eat my hens...Leghorns are too darned stringy and the black meat on Penny would throw me off...
wink.png

I've never eaten one of my birds; I consider them pets.
Storebought I can do, just like BJ Bobbi Jo said. If it's got a name I can't eat it.

I've never ate farm raised chicken. We have 12 RIR, 11 hens and a ROO. Currently we are just eating eggs and have started incubating so in a few months we may have more babies than we know what to do with. My wife wants to have chickens in the freezer for this winter. I don't know if I could do them in after raising them.. My RIR are averaging 9.6 eggs per day in April..

i have never eaten home grown chicken. i USED to eat store-bought chickens, until my best buddy Bill was killed. now every time i see a piece of chicken, i see him in my arms after he died. however, i do think it's better to eat food raised by your own hands. healthier for us, better for the animals. factory farms, you know.

We don't have any livestock yet, but after our house is built, we will have a couple of cows for milk and meat, some rabbits for meat and chickens for eggs and meat.

I have never had chickens before, but my egg layers will be "pets" and the roasters will be food. There is a difference in how they are perceived. I have never killed a chicken, but I have read everything I can on how it's done and when the time comes, yes, I will be able to do it. My husband is not emotional about chickens. He helped his mother kill and dress chickens when he was young.
He warns me all the time about not "getting attached".
We will have some geese, and those will be pets. I have never and will never eat one. I had a pair once and they were special.
The same will apply to the milk cows, they will be "pets", but their bull calves will be for the freezer.
Jo in FL

We have chickens for the 1st time. When we ordered, we ordered layer hens for eggs and Cornish X's for meat. When they came we all knew that the Cornish's were only going to be around for 8 weeks or so. Even my 2 kids, 8 and 5 are aware of it. We have not named them, and we do not play with them like our layers. We have a place here locally that will butcher and dress them for around $1.50 a bird, so we will not being killing them ourself. I was worried about getting attached to the Cornish's, and they were darling little fluff balls when they first came, but after the 1st week, they had grown so much, they start loosing there cuteness. In fact my husband has nicknamed them the Mutants. We have had them for 2 weeks and they had 4x their size and just really are not that cute. So I know that when it is time in about 6 weeks to cull them, it won't be hard. And I have been told by my next door neighbor, that until you have eaten a homegrown cornish, you have not tasted chicken.

We are also getting a couple of dexter cows to use for milk & meat. This is all new to us, but we are really excited to be able to raise our on meat, eggs and milk, and be somewhat self-sufficient. And it will be awesome to know what we are eating, and what has been or not been put into it.

If you witnessed the living conditions (the cruelty, the filth, the ingredients of the feed rations) in which commercially produced chickens live you would never eat a chicken from the grocery store again.

If you witnessed the living conditions (the cruelty, the filth, the ingredients of the feed rations) in which commercially produced chickens live you would never eat a chicken from the grocery store again.

This is why WE don't have a problem with eating the birds we've raised. Even my children (8 and 7) know that some of the chickens that come in here will be for meat, and we dont name them, or cuddle them, or otherwise get attached to them, so it will be easier to do when the time comes. Like someone also said, by the time Cornish are over a week old, they really aren't cute at all anymore, so its a little easier. I'll feel better knowing at least they were raised humanely, and with care, then kept in a dark factory in filth for their short lives.​

Eat the home raised chickens, well here at my place, the point of raising them and turkeys is to put them in the freezer, plate and sell a few to re-coup the cost of feed et al.

Tomorrow, DW and I will be dressing a few to see they are ready, no need to feed them if they are putting on fat.

The eggs from my older hens has been a real welcomed addition to the table.

Back
Top Bottom