Am i the only one...?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tanichca, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Who can sex her silkie chicks? They are high quality, purebred birds, about a month and a half old. And i can tell the boys from the girls by the size! I noticed that the boys (and ive raised silkie chicks before, so i have tried this out and it WORKS) have broader chests and the females have a slimmer line. Weird, huh?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

With my silkies I never know til they crow or lay an egg.

3. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:x2! When I try to help people with it in the What Breed or Gender Is This? section, I never can! Unless some are obvious roos. Tanicha, that is interesting! Thanks for the info. Didn't notice that.

4. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Quote:x2! When I try to help people with it in the What Breed or Gender Is This? section, I never can! Unless some are obvious roos. Tanicha, that is interesting! Thanks for the info. Didn't notice that.

haha my dads a scientist, so he tought us all to observe things.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

.... I should probably start a thread with the subject "Am I the only one who CANNOT sex chicks?"

I'm actually pleased when a little cockerel crows in the brooder, because that shortens the amount of time I am clueless about such things. It's bad. I try to guess, but I just don't have any confidence in it.

Course, I would be hatching things like Sebrights, and call ducklings, and bantam cochins and EEs and Orpingtons.

6. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Lol gryeyes...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by