Amazing chicken coop and blog; cocktails and pet chickens...

JurassicChicken

Chirping
Mar 13, 2017
NE Georgia Mountains
I stumbled onto this website when searching for chicken related sites: www.drinkingwithchickens.com.
It is actually a blog about fancy drinks, and won a blog award from SAVEUR Magazine as best drinks blog. I know there are many folks here who do not drink or approve of alcohol, so I hope you do not find this thread offensive. It is the environment she has created for her backyard chickens and how she actually entertains guests in her chicken garden that is amazing. If you don't drink, it's worth looking at to see the world in which her chicken live. The coop has wall paper and miniature pictures! She lives in a city, so this is a compact chicken environment that is simply amazing. If you check it out see the "Snoop around the coop" section. Also the photography is excellent. I wonder if she has a gardener.

Ya know when I hear someone say “oh, I’m a ceramicist” and that happens more than you might think because I work in theatre and live in Connecticut... but when I hear that I think “so were you born rich or did you marry rich?”

This blog makes me feel the same way. But really it’s just jealousy that she gets to have a blog about making fancy cocktails wearing lovely hats and talking to her chickens and I didn’t think of it first!

Looking at the size of her coop and the number of birds she has, she'd get torn to shreds on here.

I just saw a house/garden tour of this place here:

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/la-home-tour-kate-richards-of-drinking-with-chickens-259135

It's very pretty in a very staged way. I am confused though since the coop shown in these photos is different from the one in the blog.

Looking at the size of her coop and the number of birds she has, she'd get torn to shreds on here.

Her total square footage per chicken appears quite generous since she states that the run of her coop is only for isolation and that the chickens have access to what looks to be a nice sized fenced section of her yard (the part with the fountain) every day. In LA her chickens are unlikely to have to stay in the coop for bad weather.

In the blog, she does say that she has redone her coop 5 times in 5 years. Maybe that is a different year. I agree, as she only uses the coop for sleeping and the run for very short term, seems ok to me. I do pretty much the same with mine, though I'm going to build a much bigger run enclosure this summer. I think it's cute, but I don't have the time energy or inclination to be cleaning poop off rocks, benches or fountains several times a day. Deep litter for me, all the way.

Very cute! It's almost like a real life dollhouse setting.
Her total square footage per chicken appears quite generous since she states that the run of her coop is only for isolation and that the chickens have access to what looks to be a nice sized fenced section of her yard (the part with the fountain) every day. In LA her chickens are unlikely to have to stay in the coop for bad weather.

I agree, she seems aware of the space limitations she has and is upfront about it. I also liked that she's honest that all the photos are staged in that the chickens aren't allowed on the bar counters and such, and that she's constantly cleaning up poop so the photos look nice.

she seems aware of the space limitations she has and is upfront about it. I also liked that she's honest that all the photos are staged in that the chickens aren't allowed on the bar counters and such, and that she's constantly cleaning up poop so the photos look nice.
True...but still...SMH.

I stumbled onto this website when searching for chicken related sites: www.drinkingwithchickens.com.
It is actually a blog about fancy drinks, and won a blog award from SAVEUR Magazine as best drinks blog. I know there are many folks here who do not drink or approve of alcohol, so I hope you do not find this thread offensive. It is the environment she has created for her backyard chickens and how she actually entertains guests in her chicken garden that is amazing. If you don't drink, it's worth looking at to see the world in which her chicken live. The coop has wall paper and miniature pictures! She lives in a city, so this is a compact chicken environment that is simply amazing. If you check it out see the "Snoop around the coop" section. Also the photography is excellent. I wonder if she has a gardener.

Oh, this is fabulous! I'm so glad you shared -- thank you!

Back
Top Bottom