Help my sis pick a spot for her coop!

CoupDuke

In the Brooder
May 3, 2023
So, my sister lives in a small Florida suburb that allows backyard chickens, and she and her husband are considering keeping two or three. She's not sure about which breed, yet, but they want to keep them for eggs and fertilizer.

The house in question has an unusual structure, specifically because it has what we call an “atrium”, which is a sectioned off part of the house that’s technically outside. We can literally step into the atrium and be “outside” and see the sky while still being “inside” her house.

She's been thinking of putting a chicken coop in there because
1) her backyard floods when it rains and we figure chickens wouldn’t like that,
2) the backyard is less predator proof than the atrium,
and
3) while the backyard has lots of yummy things to eat, it’s mostly garden without much room for a fortified, predator proof coop and/or run.

The atrium has a few problems, too, though. Her husband laid pavers down in it after taking out some wood mulch someone had previously put there. (He took the wood chips out, because they didn’t want to attract termites.) They have a few potted plants in there (and wouldn’t mind adding a few more), but she's concerned if it will be too barren for the chickens if they stay there during the day and only get to go into the back yard when she and her husband are home around 5 or 6 in the evening. There’s room enough in the atrium (66 square feet or so) for a small coop, and what space the coop doesn't take up can serve as a run. The stone pavers are something her husband doesn't want to compromise on completely. She's convinced him that taking out a few lines on one end of the atrium wouldn't be much of a sacrifice, but they're also concerned about poop being harder to collect since they may have to scrape it off the pavers instead of it just falling among soil and fertilizing it. He's also worried about having to use more feed instead of having the chickens in a more green environment for much of the day. Also, the atrium only gets a few hours of sunlight per day so too much green may encourage funguses to grow (it's happened before).

So, to recap:

Backyard pros – Greener, more chance for chickens to free range in 300+ square feet
Backyard cons – Floods when it rains, fenced but accessible to predators
Atrium pros – Fortified by high concrete walls, perfect size to serve as a coop and run (66 square feet)
Atrium cons – Not much greenery, poop may end up on pavers (harder to collect?), only gets a few hours of direct sunlight per day

Thoughts?

The atrium doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I'm thinking a raised coop out back. If it floods, they will still have the coop hi and dry.
What about the atrium sounds the worst?

Also, you don't think the hens would be more vulnerable to predators in the back yard? Not even coyotes? It's fenced in with a 6 foot fence, but there's a tree at one corner just beyond the property that can be climbed.

What about the atrium sounds the worst?

Also, you don't think the hens would be more vulnerable to predators in the back yard? Not even coyotes? It's fenced in with a 6 foot fence, but there's a tree at one corner just beyond the property that can be climbed.
The plants you have won't last. They will destroy they in short order. Poop.... Lots of poop.
As long as you make a predator proof coop and run, they should be ok.

Some pics of the atrium and how it attaches to the house would be most helpful here.
I appreciate the input, but I don't really like sharing a fam's personal info on the internet.

I can say that the walls reach to the roof, so, they're at least one story up. The plants are mostly cactuses, so nothing particularly attractive to chickens (that I know of), and the pavers have gravel and sand wedged between them to keep them stable (which could serve as grit?). There's a very reliable drain in there off to the side which deters flooding, even on very rainy days. The whole space is about 6' x 11' and some change.

I appreciate the input, but I don't really like sharing a fam's personal info on the internet.
Not asking for your address. :rolleyes:
Wonders what are the walls of this aviary made of?
Is there a roof, solid .......or?
Is there a door to the house that can be kept closed?

Not asking for your address. :rolleyes:
Wonders what are the walls of this aviary made of?
Is there a roof, solid .......or?
Is there a door to the house that can be kept closed?
Yeah, but it's pretty easy to dox people nowadays.

Walls are concrete.
No roof, open sky.
Sliding impact glass doors seal off the atrium from the house.
The pavers are about 10 or 11 inches long, shaped like a capital "i", made of concrete, and about 6" wide at their widest.

It's really hard to give advice without at least seeing a pic of the space, but it sounds like the atrium is not a good location for many reasons. I imagine an atrium located in the middle of a house to be a PITA when it comes time to do maintenance and move materials through the living space, such as a wheelbarrow full of poopy bedding. The hard paver floor surface wouldn't be a good solution.

With all the restrictions and a goal of only 2-3 chickens for the purpose of eggs and fertilizer - to me it makes more sense to just keep buying eggs and buy fertilizer/soil amendments. Just sayin as someone who's eggs cost way more than I want to calculate :idunno

Chickens on pavers would not be happy. It's their instinct to scratch and dig -- part of their natural foraging behavior, and to create dustbaths, which are critical for their physical health.

They really need access to natural ground for their mental and physical well-being.

Flooding is a problem, but creating a raised coop and building up the ground in the run with either fill dirt or plenty of bedding (coarse wood chips would be very good for this purpose), is probably better than keeping chickens on a hard, paved surface.

Back
Top Bottom