Ameracauna Question...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by heatherfeather7, Oct 6, 2014.

1. heatherfeather7

heatherfeather7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2014
    Abi's Coffee Shop
    I have a 5 month old Ameracauna hen who has started running to me and squatting and raising her backside to me. She also wiggles around ... it almost looks like she wants to lay an egg or something. What does this mean? She has not started laying yet, but about 2 days ago I noticed her 'hips' spreading, I think she is about to start laying.

She seems very confused. I have one other Ameracauna that is not laying yet, and one that is.

Thanks in advance!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    She is doing a submissive squat (also called an egg squat by some) - it is an indication that she is nearing the beginning of production. This is the pose she would give an approaching rooster to enable him to mount and mate her.
    This is an entirely different posture than they assume for laying.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  3. heatherfeather7

Aug 14, 2014
    Abi's Coffee Shop
    Is there anything I should do to encourage her to not do that to me? I have two roosters but she won't go near them.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Not really - there is no need to discourage her.

5. heatherfeather7

Aug 14, 2014
    Abi's Coffee Shop
    Okay, just wasn't sure. Thanks! She is definitely my hen, follows me all over and loves to be held. Falls right to sleep when my daughter and I hold her.

6. Frizzlett98

Frizzlett98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    I have a hen that does exactly that. 2 others started squatting today that aren't very close to laying at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by