Ameracauna Question...

Lucky Lemon

Crowing
Aug 14, 2014
I have a 5 month old Ameracauna hen who has started running to me and squatting and raising her backside to me. She also wiggles around ... it almost looks like she wants to lay an egg or something. What does this mean? She has not started laying yet, but about 2 days ago I noticed her 'hips' spreading, I think she is about to start laying.

She seems very confused. I have one other Ameracauna that is not laying yet, and one that is.

Thanks in advance!

I have a 5 month old Ameracauna hen who has started running to me and squatting and raising her backside to me. She also wiggles around ... it almost looks like she wants to lay an egg or something. What does this mean? She has not started laying yet, but about 2 days ago I noticed her 'hips' spreading, I think she is about to start laying.

She seems very confused. I have one other Ameracauna that is not laying yet, and one that is.

Thanks in advance!

She is doing a submissive squat (also called an egg squat by some) - it is an indication that she is nearing the beginning of production. This is the pose she would give an approaching rooster to enable him to mount and mate her.
This is an entirely different posture than they assume for laying.

Last edited:
She is doing a submissive squat (also called an egg squat by some) - it is an indication that she is nearing the beginning of production. This is the pose she would give an approaching rooster to enable him to mount and mate her.
This is an entirely different posture than they assume for laying.

Is there anything I should do to encourage her to not do that to me? I have two roosters but she won't go near them.

Okay, just wasn't sure. Thanks! She is definitely my hen, follows me all over and loves to be held. Falls right to sleep when my daughter and I hold her.

Back
Top Bottom