Ameraucana (Easter egger) climate zone

galaxyflyer1

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 18, 2009
Corona Ca.
Hello all,
Are Ameraucanas (I guess mine was really an "Easter egger") sensitive to a hotter climate? I just lost my hen (Ameraucana brown) that layed green eggs. She just got weak and died within two days. The other 3 which are RIR, Barred Rock and Black Austrlope are fine. I always noticed that she was more prone to open her wings when it got warm. We have only had a couple of days of mid 90's this week and they are always in the shade. Not sure why she died at 1.5 years old but I was just wondering about the climate.

Last edited:
Easter Egger, yeah.
wink.png

Easter Eggers really can vary, being crossbred chickens. I would assume most have a limit though. My girl I got from a hatchery has a limit around 80 degrees and she pants - My Polish x EEers can go pretty hot though.

My true Ameraucanas? They can't stand much heat at all, honestly. They pant in 75 degree weather on occasion, and anything hotter sends them to the shade. But, eh, my Ameraucana brood roosters pant even from running 10 feet. I think they just get over excited.

Last edited:
OK, I really liked her colors and disposition but not sure if I should get another, if they are not as heat hardy than the other breeds.

Thanks,
Bob

I have a 2 EE's left, my white ones I didn't keep because they couldn't handle the heat. As a breed, they are the worst of the breeds that I have for heat. However I have 2 EE's that do ok, as long as I have their water pan's filled with water under the water tree. The ducks have their little pool to cool off in and the chickens have several pans of water scattered about under the water tree, ok shade tree. They stand in the pans of water to cool off and I see the one in a pan all the time when it's hot.

The Turkens, BR, and the NHR handle the heat fine. Of coarse the Sicilian Buttercups just say What Heat? We've had 100's + heat index for weeks and it isn't going to change anytime soon. My Quail are the only ones suffering. THEY get frozen water bottles to lay next to and stand on. No one else does, don't need it not even the chicks. When weather 1st gets hot I will put ice cubes in their pans, they appreciate that, but once its been hot awhile I stop adding the ice. They really don't need it then, once they get used to the heat. But I watch them close, just in case. In the past I have been know to find a hen just wandering with goo goo eyes and I'll stand her in a pan of water to cool off. Panting is normal, that is a chicken's way of cooling off, like when we sweat it cools us off.

Sorry you lost your girl. I know it hurts when you loose an animal unexpectantly. That happens all the time to chicken keepers for 1 reason or another. But even knowing that, doesn't really help much when it happens. If you liked your EE and you liked her colored eggs, get another pretty girl. Try the water pan for them to stand in, it works here and its hot and humid here all summer.

It would all depend on the genetics your bird carries.

My ameraucanas do quiet well in the heat. I have a friend that has an egg laying facility who gets a majority of my black/blue cull pullets and when it is hot outside the ameraucanas outlay all her other production type birds.

It could be that those lines came mostly from Paul Smith and somehow they are genetically predisposed to dealing with the hot weather from all the years of breeding he has done in HOT Texas weather.

We live in middle TN and have 2 ameracauna's that are about 17 weeks old. They do seem to pant a lot but they just go in their sand pit or under the trees where they've created a sort of pit in the dirt. I leave bowls of ice water out, and give them cold plain yogurt or watermelon rinds during the day when it is really hot. We've had a brutal summer in the upper 90's but they've managed quite well. We did install a small fan in the coop as it can get hot at night. I stick an ice pack behind the fan so the air it blows is cooler. The 2 wyandotte's we have don't seem to be quite as bothered by the heat.

My Easter Eggers are doing fine in the heat. We've been having 102 to 110 tempertures here with heat index up to 115 at leat and mine are doing quite okay, they do sometimes need to be watered an extra time during the day.

I have BO, EE's, GSL, & BR...but I have to say, that they have fans, a small wading pool (shallow sterelite container from walmart) and a waterer. I add ice that I have frozen in medium to large cottage cheese & butter containers twice a day. I have, currently, a small sand area that I also wet down for them that I plan to completely cover the floor with sand (now there are pine shavings) of a 16 x 18 covered run. A friend who has a much larger farming operation says my chicks are spoiled rotten. But if I can't stand the heat without an iced beverage, why should they...The dogs have a pool that I add ice too also. LOL

Yes, I keep the ground wet so they can dig a "cool" hole the next day. But it would seem that they would be afraid to step into anything that contains water. How did you do that?

Back
Top Bottom