Ameraucana? She just laid her 1st egg...and it's green!?

My Three Chicks

Crowing
May 3, 2021
Seattle, WA
My sweet Willow who is a gorgeous blue Ameraucana just laid her 1st egg today! At 21 weeks + 2 days at that!

It's a precious little egg. But it's olive green! I thought Ameraucanas always laid blue eggs?!

She was sold as an Ameraucana and physically meets all the characteristics.

What's up with the green eggs?

In any case I love her and am thrilled with her whatever her egg color. More just curious and confused!

Attachments

• 20230823_164411.jpg
    20230823_164411.jpg
    506 KB · Views: 122
  • 20230823_171424.jpg
    20230823_171424.jpg
    974.3 KB · Views: 54
You get a copy of this in the standard of perfection when you join the breeders club.. example from google may not be true to color due to screen differences etc, but you can see includes a wide array of blue shades including some greenish..
1692839388442.png

Now the blue should go all the way through the shell and not be white on the inside.

Many breeders (even pure Ameraucana) know that working towards the shade of blue *or whatever) you want can be a long drawn out process and the perfect desired shade doesn't just happen. Hatchery quality (pure Ameraucana).. may not be selecting very hard for egg color. She'd likely be culled from any serious breeding program. But sounds like an otherwise perfectly loved and beautiful pet layer!

That being said.. first eggs can be glitchy.. heavy blooms, double yolks, etc.. Marans count their true egg color at around egg number 20. I agree, that's MUCH browner than I would expect. Should be fun to see where it levels off at.

Still lovely, congratulations! :celebrate

I'm not an expert, but I think you may have an ee. The comb is not right for an ameraucana so I think you were not informed correctly. I had that happen so I looked for a ameraucana specific breeder and see the difference in my ee that was sold to me as an ameraucana and the true breed. Regardless, she is a lovely bird and is loved and that's what matters.

You get a copy of this in the standard of perfection when you join the breeders club.. example from google may not be true to color due to screen differences etc, but you can see includes a wide array of blue shades including some greenish..
View attachment 3617852

Now the blue should go all the way through the shell and not be white on the inside.

Many breeders (even pure Ameraucana) know that working towards the shade of blue *or whatever) you want can be a long drawn out process and the perfect desired shade doesn't just happen. Hatchery quality (pure Ameraucana).. may not be selecting very hard for egg color. She'd likely be culled from any serious breeding program. But sounds like an otherwise perfectly loved and beautiful pet layer!

That being said.. first eggs can be glitchy.. heavy blooms, double yolks, etc.. Marans count their true egg color at around egg number 20. I agree, that's MUCH browner than I would expect. Should be fun to see where it levels off at.

Still lovely, congratulations! :celebrate
Cool thanks very interesting chart and yes definitely a lot of green in there. Who knew since everything you read says they lay blue!

Yes I’m definitely looking forward to seeing how she settles into laying and exactly what color she lays. Thinking greenish though at this point.

Sweet girl sat in the nest box for 2 hours then I ended up finding the little egg in the yard. It musta just popped out some point after 😅

Cool thanks very interesting chart and yes definitely a lot of green in there. Who knew since everything you read says they lay blue!

Yes I’m definitely looking forward to seeing how she settles into laying and exactly what color she lays. Thinking greenish though at this point.

Sweet girl sat in the nest box for 2 hours then I ended up finding the little egg in the yard. It musta just popped out some point after 😅
Hahaha too funny, I have there Azzur Blue pullets just started laying and it’s an egg hunt here every day! I am finding their eggs everywhere min the barn. One lays in a nest box but the other two - anything goes!

Back
Top Bottom