Ameraucana Eggs - Difference in Color

greenfamilyfarms

Big Pippin'
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Elizabethtown, NC
What accounts for the difference in egg color in true blue-egg-layer Ameraucanas? I have noticed that sellers will take a picture and the eggs looks really blue, but to the naked eye and in person they appear green both indoors and outside. They are still a color that can be found on the ABC egg color chart, but is there a preference in egg shell color?

Egg shell color with flash appears BLUE
6809_am_egg_wflash.jpg

Egg shell color without flash and to the eye appears GREEN
6809_am_egg_wo_flash.jpg

ABC Egg Color Chart for Reference:
6809_img048.jpg

I've found it really difficult to photograph blue eggs. Here's one I took of my first Ameraucana egg. It looks more aqua in the picture than it was in my hand. It's taken under my under cabinet lighting without a flash. It's the closest I could come to the actual color of the egg. I've also had difficulty taking pictures of Marans eggs.

ETA: The light brahma egg in the lower left looks white in the picture, instead of pinkish brown.

SDC10499.jpg

Last edited:
This might be slightly off topic... But do true blue eggers also have a laying cycle like marans? They start off true-er blue but later in the season they are lighter or greener?

Thanks for letting me jump in...

DesertSkyNM

edited for better grammar
hide.gif

Last edited:
Yes, my eggs get lighter during the laying cycle.

For some of my girls, that means more blue.

My older girls have all just gone through a molt *feathers all over the back yard to prove it*... and so an new laying cycle has begun.

I'm going to need to start incubating some of these beauties.

I think that this pic was without a flash

10376_img_0628.jpg

This one may have had a flash... I don't remember

10376_csc_0013.jpg

Anyone????
hu.gif

There are a few blue egg laying breeds. The Auracana, the Ameraucana (purebred), Cream Legbar and a couple of other really rare breeds from tropical places. Sometimes with a cross, especially to a white egg layer, you will also get a nice blue egg. Blue eggs vary in shades. If you would like more information on the Ameraucana they have a website. www.ameraucana.org
There is lots of info there, I am still learning more every day! They also address Auracana and Easter Eggers. And Americana spelled with an i will most likely never be a purebred. All the crosses seem to be great birds, that's what the hatcheries count on when they sell Easter Eggers by other names.

I hope this helps you?!

I have found that the most true color shows outside in natural sun light.

Ameraucana in filtered sunlight...
P1120472ferns1stegg.jpg

Ameraucana eggs with brown & green egg for contrast...
P1120824.jpg

Mixed basket with blue, green & brown eggs...
P1120689.jpg

This is an olive egger egg (cuckoo marans/Ameraucana) in the sun...
P1120300.jpg

Last edited:
This pic was taken inside without a flash. It is fairly accurate to what the eggs look like in person.

19098_10-03-2010-2_062.jpg

They are all Araucana eggs just from different hens.

Lanae

Quote:
Olive eggers are a cross breed- at least the first generation are. They are made by crossing a dark egg layer (like marans, welsummer, penedesenca...) and a blue egg layer like ameraucana or araucana. Sometimes EEs will work too if they have good egg color.

Back
Top Bottom