Ameraucana genetics question

So, I finished out reading the breeding and genetic forum from Ameraucana Alliance and wow. I really wish the APA and ABA would be on board with what the founders of the Ameraucana wanted. They and some othere breeders of different breeds brought up accepting all the colors and patterns that have been established in chickens for all breeds. Was intresting that our founders think that way. Lol I joined the club after that.

I recommend anyone seriously into breeding Ameraucana to check that fourm out.
It’s an awesome forum. I haven’t read through it fully, but I’ve gone through a fair amount of tabs, and they’re quite a good read.

But can you imagine if blue wheaten fell to the wayside because everyone had a different color project?
I’d be super sad. Blue wheaten lover over here though.

Back to the actual topic, OEGBS tend to get on well enough for having so many accepted varieties. Some are definitely rarer than others, like buffs, but there always seems to be one breeder or two floating around. The most popular colors(basing this literally off what I see at shows, I’m no OEGB person) seem to be those which have had the most breeding behind them, the most established varieties. As it goes for ameraucanas right now, blue wheaten seems to have a fair deal of breeders? I don't actually keep track, honestly, of how many breeders there are. I can’t imagine they’d be too poorly affected by a large amount of variety acceptance like other, already rarer, varieties ameraucanas have now. As for varieties like brown red and buff though, which I know are already rare, might drop off completely if people pushed towards new varieties.

It’s an awesome forum. I haven’t read through it fully, but I’ve gone through a fair amount of tabs, and they’re quite a good read.

I’d be super sad. Blue wheaten lover over here though.

Back to the actual topic, OEGBS tend to get on well enough for having so many accepted varieties. Some are definitely rarer than others, like buffs, but there always seems to be one breeder or two floating around. The most popular colors(basing this literally off what I see at shows, I’m no OEGB person) seem to be those which have had the most breeding behind them, the most established varieties. As it goes for ameraucanas right now, blue wheaten seems to have a fair deal of breeders? I don't actually keep track, honestly, of how many breeders there are. I can’t imagine they’d be too poorly affected by a large amount of variety acceptance like other, already rarer, varieties ameraucanas have now. As for varieties like brown red and buff though, which I know are already rare, might drop off completely if people pushed towards new varieties.
Brown red, Silver and Buff have the lest amount of breeders. Buff has in its favor Cackle Hatchery. But on the breeders list for both clubs it's Brown red and Silver that have the lest. Brown Red is the rarest of the colors.

Blue wheaten is very popular especially for people who want to breed or have some different color in the same pen and not worry about it.

There are colors or breeds that are not in the book anymore and it's going to take alot for them to get put back in. If it wasn't restricted on color they could be shown once a breeder got them to the proper frame/type. As it is no one will want to work on them because of how hard it is to get them back in the book. Vorwrek(sp) was an example of this. And there was another that was brought up. They still exist just not in quantity here in the US.

So it's very hard to bring a verity back once it's gone.🙁

Brown red, Silver and Buff have the lest amount of breeders. Buff has in its favor Cackle Hatchery. But on the breeders list for both clubs it's Brown red and Silver that have the lest. Brown Red is the rarest of the colors.

Blue wheaten is very popular especially for people who want to breed or have some different color in the same pen and not worry about it.
I love blue wheaten, silvers, buffs, brown reds, and splashes. Wheatens and blues are nice too. Blacks, whites, and self blue are sort of boring to me. Unfortunately, they often seem to be the most common.

I love blue wheaten, silvers, buffs, brown reds, and splashes. Wheatens and blues are nice too. Blacks, whites, and self blue are sort of boring to me. Unfortunately, they often seem to be the most common.
I'm going for Silver now and maybe brown red in the future. There are a few color combinations you can do with these and still work on the base color and that's what I have planed. Black is the cross with in the breed that's the go to to improve type and egg color as it's very well established with good lines.

Yeah I don't really like solid colors. In the future I may add buff for projects.

@NagemTX on the topic of both your comments, because I don’t want to quote both. Buff turkeys used to be in the standard, but got removed. Just another example of something getting removed then not being put back in. Technically I think those went extinct, but are being recreated. Hard to breed though, so likely not to make it into the standard. I went with wheaten colors in ameraucana because I’m not fond of solid colors either, plus it’s easy to sex the chicks early on because of sexual dimorphism in their coloring, and the nature of thé blue gene makes for variance in the pen, which is nice to see.

@NagemTX on the topic of both your comments, because I don’t want to quote both. Buff turkeys used to be in the standard, but got removed. Just another example of something getting removed then not being put back in. Technically I think those went extinct, but are being recreated. Hard to breed though, so likely not to make it into the standard. I went with wheaten colors in ameraucana because I’m not fond of solid colors either, plus it’s easy to sex the chicks early on because of sexual dimorphism in their coloring, and the nature of thé blue gene makes for variance in the pen, which is nice to see.
I'll be working tword something similar but with duckwing(Silver)and birchen(Brown Red). By adding blue in. I've seen on the Alliance forum someone working on golden. It was also mentioned on the Alliance FB group as well. 🥰

Since I've got a pretty good breeding flock of lavenders now I think I might start selling Ameraucana eggs on ebay. I'm definetly gonna be hatching a lot of chicks in the spring

Back
Top Bottom