Ameraucana Molting

Beatlesgirl1967

Hatching
Jun 12, 2019
I have a sweet Ameraucana that was given to me last year. Over the past week-which has been hot-she has begun to lose feathers so I just assumed she’s molting. But she’s been hanging out by herself a lot in the yard and in the hen house. When she does come when I call, she’s lagging behind and lays down to eat scratch. I have checked on the chickens several times a day and she’s been laying down about 90% of the time & is easily knocked over by the other hens. Anyone know what might be going on? I want to help her the best way I can.

It would be best to separate her from the flock. Issues like that start out small and get worse. Difficult to say what the feather loss is about, as I don't know of any sicknesses that cause it. Have you checked her for lice or mites? Otherwise, she could be getting picked on by the others for being weaker. She definitely sounds sick to me, but there aren't really any defining symptoms to give a direct diagnosis. Make sure she eats and drinks plenty. Check her feet and legs for injuries, swollen bits, and hot areas that might indicate infection.
I had a hen once that had trouble with her legs. No reason for it coming on. There were no injuries or anything. She just started sitting down more, then it got to the point where she could hardly walk. After a while I got to thinking that I might have to cull her, but then, just like that, she got better.

Back
Top Bottom