Ameraucana or Easter Egger mix?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jedwards, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    I bought eight "Ameraucana" chicks but im not sure if they're mixed or what. They all have ear muffs and beards and black legs but some of them are oddly colored.
    [​IMG]
    It's the bigger one on the right they grey one

[​IMG]
    This is the most puzzling one

[​IMG]
    another one in between two Cochin chicks
    [​IMG]
    Sorry its blurry but I've never had an amerauca that's black and white
    [​IMG]
    Thanks guys and gals - Jake

2. Firekin1

Firekin1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Nova Scotia
    They look like EE's to me...you're black and white is a common color for EE roos. EE's come in a variety of colors, and most I've seen have muffs and beards, as well as slate legs.

3. Jedwards

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    Thank you! I've only ever had blue ameraucanas so i wasn't sure about all the different colors hopefully they'll be a nice bunch!

4. Firekin1

Apr 5, 2014
    Nova Scotia
    I breed blue and black Ameraucana which means you'll always get either blue, black, or splash, but one thing I like about EE's is you never know what you'll get. I have some friends who simply love EE's and they've had some of the most interesting color combinations...lol

5. Jedwards

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    Yeah their colors are really beautiful I think only two of them looked alike at the beginning because they were solid black, but now ones getting orange neck feathers and the other white. Thank you!

6. Chicky Crazy

Chicky Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2013
    I learned from an article Easter Egger is a different name for an Amaracauna. But there are lots of people who get upset when I call my EE an Amaracauna. Same thing ;)

7. Chicky Crazy

Chicky Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2013
  8. Firekin1

Apr 5, 2014
    Nova Scotia
    Actually Ameraucana and EE are different, though some breeders and hatcheries call EE's Americana (with the "i"). Ameraucana have standards of perfection where EE's do not, they don't conform to any specific breed and you can not breed 2 EE's and get a true color. If you go through the list of recognized breeds, an EE isn't one of them, and it probably won't be until you can breed 2 identicall colored EE's and get all chicks that color I would assume.
    mehttp://www.amerpoultryassn.com/PDF%20Forms/APA%20Recognized%20Breeds%20and%20Varieties%20Sept2012.pdf
    Here's another article explaining some differences. http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Calling an Easter egger an Ameraucana is akin to calling any medium/large short haired good natured black dog that likes to play fetch a Lab. Similarities, yet still worlds apart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by