Ameraucana or Easter Egger

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stinkyshermy, Aug 19, 2016.

1. stinkyshermy

stinkyshermy Just Hatched

Aug 13, 2016
    San Diego
    Pretty standard question...

We got our chicks at the local feed store. The chickens in question were being sold as "Ameraucanas"...but there was no signage. I only spoke with the folks helping us. I looked up breed information briefly just to make sure that they were a breed of chicken that would work for us, and didn't see anything about Ameraucanas/AmerIcanas/Aracamas/Easter Eggers.

As they grow though, I am thinking that they are not Ameraucanas, which is totally fine with us. We were not too picky on breed type.

Thoughts? They are 6 weks old.

Beverly (We hope):
    [​IMG]

Margaret (We hope):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They appear to be Easter Eggers.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Easter eggers.

It's good you're not too bent out of shape about it. Some folks get all worked up, and they'd never even heard of Ameraucana before that trip to the feed store. All they wanted was nice backyard birds that lay colored eggs....and that's exactly what you get with EE. Unless you're doing a color project, etc, EE are as good or better for backyard flocks. I like them because there's such a variation in color, both of feathers and eggs. If you breed pure Ameraucana, all your birds are the same color (black, wheaten, etc) and all lay the same color eggs. I like variety in my flock [​IMG]

4. stinkyshermy

stinkyshermy Just Hatched

Aug 13, 2016
    San Diego
    That pretty much sums up what we wanted, a chicken that can generally be expected to play well with others and adds some egg color variation. We have a Rhode island Red, two Barred Rocks, and these two (hopefully) ladies.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Easter Eggers

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    EE and looking like pullets so far