Ameraucana or EE? Pullet or Cockerel?

Clip her wing when she's gone to roost at night..we only clip one wing...some clip both...clip primary feathers the same lenght as the secondary...if you clip to short and will bleed...its best to take pliers and pluck it..IV heard of hens bleeding to death threw feather quills...Google or YouTube it

She is a pretty girl BUT she's troublesome....Flighty. My concern is her flying to get on top of the fence & end up over it, neighbor's dog is waiting. Would clipping her wings prevent her getting too far off the ground? Any instructions on how to do this? Hubby says rehome her...I told my Grandgirls they could have blue eggs for breakfast when they come to visit next summer....Any advice?
Yes, clipping her wings will keep her home. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-clip-trim-the-wings-of-your-chicken-to-prevent-flight

I know the article says clip one wing, but I clip both her wings. Clipping one wing is for parrots. Our chickens can still fly with only one wing clipped.

It won't hurt her any more than cutting your hair hurts you, and the feathers will grow back when she moults. You'll have to reclip her wings after every moult.

It's really easy and just takes a pair of scissors. I'm getting so good that I can clip a pair of wings in under a minute, by myself.

Last edited:
She is a pretty girl BUT she's troublesome....Flighty. My concern is her flying to get on top of the fence & end up over it, neighbor's dog is waiting. Would clipping her wings prevent her getting too far off the ground? Any instructions on how to do this? Hubby says rehome her...I told my Grandgirls they could have blue eggs for breakfast when they come to visit next summer....Any advice?
I'd clip or duct-tape one of her wings. Be careful, though; if she's like some of our hens, she might work off the tape!
roll.png
You only want to clip one wing because clipping them both can balance it out so she's better able to fly. Clipping one wing will make her off-balance so she can't fly well. Hope that helps! : )

I'd clip or duct-tape one of her wings. Be careful, though; if she's like some of our hens, she might work off the tape!
roll.png
You only want to clip one wing because clipping them both can balance it out so she's better able to fly. Clipping one wing will make her off-balance so she can't fly well. Hope that helps! : )
Actually, a BYC member did a trial of this, clipping one wing vs. two. She found that birds clipped just one wing were able to fly better than those with two wings clipped. Wish I could remember where her post was, she was very scientific and kept copious notes.

This also matches my own experience with chickens--they can fly better with one wing clipped.

I've never heard of duct-taping a wing.

Last edited:
Appreciate ALL of your comments & advice. WalkingOnSunhine, thanks for the link on wing clipping which I'm comfortable doing. I've raised parakeets & would clipped their wing for training, same method. Ouch, haven't heard of plucking primary feathers, sounds like it would hurt & duck taping the wings I think would be uncomfortable & ouch again when tape is removed. Glad to hear you all give me your opinions as to one wing vs two, think I'm going with two....Even if she can still fly, maybe not so high?

Thank you YOU ALL helped with your experience! Need to go find my sharp scissors, she gets her wings clipped!

well your welcome...IV never had to pluck flight feather...never cut to much off but that's what my book stated to do if that situation came up ...after reading other posts IV decided to try clipping both wings as well...

Actually, a BYC member did a trial of this, clipping one wing vs. two. She found that birds clipped just one wing were able to fly better than those with two wings clipped. Wish I could remember where her post was, she was very scientific and kept copious notes.

This also matches my own experience with chickens--they can fly better with one wing clipped.

I've never heard of duct-taping a wing.
Oh, really? That's neat. I just advised clipping one wing because a friend who has games suggested that I only clip one wing. Maybe it's different for games since they're so much more flighty. I've actually clipped both wings a couple of times on our 'regular ' chickens just because they were being so naughty. It does seem to work a lot better for them. The same friend had also suggested duct tape which I personally liked better because I hated cutting their pretty wings. I usually only keep the tape on for a week or two on the new game birds so they don't fly away from their new home. Then, if that doesn't work and they are continually being naughty, I'd clip the wing. I guess it'd have made more sense for the duct tape and clipping by explaining it better. : ) Anyway, if you could pm me/ post that link if you find it, I'd love to read it. Thanks!! : )

Back
Top Bottom