Ameraucana Projects Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chicken stalker, Oct 22, 2012.

1. pmessner

pmessner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2012
    Newtown, CT
    nice, what are you planning to cross these girls with?

2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    So a silver ameraucana rooster on legbar hens or the other way around? Either way, you'll get sexlinks. If you do the silver ameraucana on legbar hens it'll just take longer but you could tell the cockerels due to the sexlinked barring in the first cross. The other way around would be the basic gold x silver sexlink but all would be barred

3. pmessner

Feb 17, 2012
    Newtown, CT
    Do both and breed them back to each other?

4. pmessner

Feb 17, 2012
    Newtown, CT
    oh, and forgot... something is up with the silver gene as silver dorkings are auto sexing but silver ameraucanas are not... I'm thinking the difference is the duckwing gene which both the dorkings and the legbars have... so one might be able to get an autosexing offspring without barring as well...

5. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I think the "mostly white" looking birds you're referring to are Splash Mottled, which would make the mottling very hard to see. Simple BBS genetics...

The Black Mottled birds do look very nice.

Your birds are breathtaking. [​IMG]

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Ahhh- I hadn't realized that either. Can't say I have ever really seen splash mottled until now. Just blue and black. Good point!

7. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    My splash mottled rooster has 2 blue feathers total !

8. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I think if I had them, I would just do blue x black breedings. Or maybe chocolate or lavender. How festive!

I have some project eggs up for sale. Just too many to fit, and one of my partners-in-crime isn't ready for hers til next week...

Not sure if the link will work yet, I know its not showing in searches for a few more hours: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290899329128?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I might list some here in the meantime. Might. [​IMG]

9. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought I would join this thread, I have two paint ameraucanas that I have decided to breed, this will be my main focus for breeding, the rooster has a LOT of red leakage, but am hoping to breed that out. I would have never known they were paints, or what they were if it wasn't for Jeryse, so Thank you!! Here they are
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The rooster
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    pullet.

10. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I remember somebody else in GA having them a few years ago. I think they thought they were splash and used them to make olive eggers and didn't get any blues. Either way- very neat. I have a small group of "painted plumes" from Sparky Crows and I think they are just ridiculous cute:

[​IMG]

We have a couple of our next generation lavender cuckoo cockerels hatched, still trying for a nice split cuckoo but none have hatched for me yet- just solid splits. My favorite hen seems to be getting harder to photograph- you really can see the barring quite well in person:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(the monster-foot chick is an Orpington)

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by