Ameraucana Projects Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chicken stalker, Oct 22, 2012.

1. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    Your rooster must have been a barred carrying silver and over hens carrying gold.If so then your cockerels will be split for silver and gold.They will throw silver and gold 50/50
    to their chicks no matter if these cockerels appear pure for silver.So do not give up there is still hope.I had the same problem.My cuckoo rooster carried silver and I bred him to red/gold hens.I got all light chicks.Some hard to describe from the partridge EE.I picked up a crele rooster at the sale bard and have him over my silver and the two red hens.Try again.
    [​IMG]

2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I will be growing them out just to see how they turn out anyway. The new project I have started will still be autosexing, just no beard/muff. I figure I already have the wyandottes and other sexlink makers for our dual purpose birds so I have a new vision. It will be almost rhodebar color (maybe barring over red quill color) or just plain red barred but the type will be more leghorn and it'll have tufts. When we used to breed araucanas, I always prefered the tufted tailed over the tufted rumpless. I'm thinking they'll have yellow skin, pea combs, and white earlobes and should lay blue eggs. If I get some white egg layers, it'll just be part of the fun.

I will keep everyone updated on the progress of the chicks. If they turn out nice enough, I might just have a pen of silver autosexing EE birds. So far, there are a few silver duckwing colored pullets with barring and a few young birds that are barred columbian (deleware) colored. I will try to get some pics soon

3. pmessner

pmessner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2012
    Newtown, CT

No luck locating buffs and in a moment of mental lack of focus bought ebay eggs. I had wanted to work with pure good quality Ameraucana so I'm not sure why I did that... would like feed back on these pics.... what do you all think of these birds... can I call these ameraucanas or are they just easter eggers? I work weekends so I can't get to any poultry shows easily...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. pmessner

Feb 17, 2012
    Newtown, CT

5. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Quote:Very pretty chickens, but they are Easter Eggers.

6. pmessner

Feb 17, 2012
    Newtown, CT

7. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I think type is good on them. They need a little more consistency in the color. Like- either buff or red, but not both. You know? And the leg color would need to be slate. I see yellow in there.

8. pmessner

Feb 17, 2012
    Newtown, CT
    cool... thank you for the critique

9. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

Here are my two paints... Hoping to get eggs soon!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    I might be partial but you need a crele penedesenca rooster [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by