Ameraucana questions

ChickenCharmer

Songster
10 Years
May 2, 2009
The Redwoods of California
I'm learning all about ameraucanas on BYC! The Easter Egger/ameraucana mystery was really confusing to me, but now I sort of understand it. I want to know about ameraucana history.

What breeds are they made up of
How were they developed
Where they were developed

I know they have Araucana blood in them, but I would like a deeper explanation.

The best detailed, most indepth History I've found so far is located on the ABC website at www.ameraucana.org . Having said that, from everthing I've found, the answer is no one really knows for sure.

There are a couple of ABC members though that I hope to get to bend their ear one day. If anyone would know, I'm sure it would be them. You will see them mentioned in the History I spoke of above.

God Bless,

This is the way I understand it:

Blue-egg-laying birds were imported to the U.S. from flocks in South America. These birds were not very well standardized, they had a variety of different physical traits and characteristics. The people who bred blue-egg-laying chickens disagreed about what these birds "should" look like and eventually split up into three different groups:

1) People who thought it would be best to eliminate the tufts and rumplessness, because these genes made propagation more difficult. People who bred these birds eventually had them standardized as Ameraucanas (which I believe is short for "American Araucana"). They determined that their birds should have muffs/beards, tails, and white skin.

2) People who thought the tufts and rumplessness should be preserved. People who bred these birds eventually had them standardized as Araucanas (after the region of Chile where the first rumpless and/or tufted birds were discovered). They determined that their birds should have tufts, NO muffs or beard, be rumpless, and have yellow skin.

3) People who thought the traits didn't matter so much as long as the birds laid colored eggs. These are today's Easter Eggers, which cannot be standardized because their traits vary so widely. They can have any plumage color, any comb type, any skin or leg color, may or may not lay blue or green eggs, most though not all are tailed, many have muffs/beards but others don't, etc.

Hope this helps somewhat.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom