Ameraucana Rooster w/No Comb?

swift081702

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Kiowa, CO
We're new to chickens, purchased a few sexed Ameraucana chicks thinking they were all female. Well, yesterday at about 18 weeks old we heard one crowing. We were really surprised. Now, I expected she was always dominant as she always led the pecking order and is the ruler of the coop. However, wasn't expecting it crow. There is no comb or waddle on this guy, but he is a bigger bird than one of the other Ameraucana's we have.

Is it possible for a dominant hen to crow? Here he is, doesn't look like a rooster, but definitely sounds like one.

29748_img_5088.jpg

looks like a pullet to me. . . comb usually extends back further onto the head in a roo. . . I am told that some hens will crow, especially if they are dominant

Hens will crow in the absence of a rooster. The bird looks henish to me as well, but I can't tell if those are late saddle feathers coming in (the red ones in front of the tail). Can you get a pic of the bird standing?

Hard to tell without seeing the bird standing, but I have 3 hens that crow. They are definatley hens, have laid eggs and been broody. I also have roosters, so I don't know why they crow but they do. They are bantams (OEG) so who knows? Maybe you have a dominant hen....

Back
Top Bottom