Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. michiele

michiele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Broken Arrow, OK
    And she is helping with building the coop too big_smile. Definitely a level she is holding there...

[​IMG]

I am thinking she is just a light blue, definitely not a splash. Her coloring is very even - no splotches - just mostly white, even a lemon color, with grey on the ends​

2. cheryl98117

cheryl98117 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Indianola Washington
    Quote:I too and curious about this behavior. I have w/bw ameraucana, and my largest pullet has almost been trance like for most of the days during the past week. She is eating and drinking without any issues, used to be quite flighty and very quik. But now its almost like she has gotten lazy, roosts in the coop for most of the day, and takes her sweet time coming out when she does. I was worried about her at first, but she is perfectly healthy, no mites, good weight, the flock has been wormed, eating and drinking. Just slow. That is until she notices treats! lol Any ideas?

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    This is a splash. (orpington). He shows no spots, but has slate legs and a slight blue-ish tint to his head.(which tells me he is not a white) He may not look like what most people would think of as splash, but I can guarantee you that if bred to only my black hens all of his offspring will be blue.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  4. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    Hormones

I also have seen personality differences when hen wants to be a broody and doesn't get to realize this task.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  5. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:??? [​IMG]

6. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:I too and curious about this behavior. I have w/bw ameraucana, and my largest pullet has almost been trance like for most of the days during the past week. She is eating and drinking without any issues, used to be quite flighty and very quik. But now its almost like she has gotten lazy, roosts in the coop for most of the day, and takes her sweet time coming out when she does. I was worried about her at first, but she is perfectly healthy, no mites, good weight, the flock has been wormed, eating and drinking. Just slow. That is until she notices treats! lol Any ideas?

How old are these birds?

7. flower

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    When that are getting ready to lay, it takes a while for the hormones to settle or maybe it is the other way around. The pullets are in need of learning to listen to new messages from their body, just as whne they are broody it is a hormone change . Don't ya know that I have trouble wit' spelling. [​IMG]
    (it's my lack of h------es)

Quote:??? [​IMG]

8. cheryl98117

cheryl98117 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Indianola Washington

How old are these birds?

They are around 4 1/2 - 5 months of age. I unfortunately do not remember what the exact date of hatch was. [​IMG]

9. flower

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    Yup they are at the age when their hormones are changing and they are getting ready to lay. So they have PMS and THIS is not a joke [​IMG]

10. ca

ca Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    Wickenburg
    Quote:I thought that was PELS? (pre egg laying syndrome) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by