Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:How old are these birds?

They are around 4 1/2 - 5 months of age. I unfortunately do not remember what the exact date of hatch was. [​IMG]

Interesting. I have some 12 week old Ameraucana pullets. I've never had any pre-egg laying issues with chickens in the past so I'm curious to see if the Ameraucanas have "hormone" issues.

2. cheryl98117

cheryl98117 Songster

May 13, 2009
    Indianola Washington
    Quote:They are around 4 1/2 - 5 months of age. I unfortunately do not remember what the exact date of hatch was. [​IMG]

Interesting. I have some 12 week old Ameraucana pullets. I've never had any pre-egg laying issues with chickens in the past so I'm curious to see if the Ameraucanas have "hormone" issues.

I didn't even consider the fact that she might be hormoral and getting ready to lay. For some reason I was under the impression that they wouldn't be anywhere near ready to lay until fall.

cpartist, If you read this, can you tell me what age your girls normaly mature?

3. flower

flower Songster

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    Of course I may be wrong but I have noticed that most of the birds that I have had from the chick stage do go through certain behavior periods and their behavior is very different at the five to six month period and changes again after they have been laying for about a month.
    So the Pre Egg Laying Symptons have been spoken about on other pages. Naturally all birds have different quirks etc.

4. cpartist

cpartist Songster

Aug 29, 2009
    Alachua County FL
    Hi Cheryl [​IMG]
    She's right on tract for laying. Mine start between 18-25 weeks with most laying around 22 weeks.

They go broody a lot. I just had 5 of 8 pullets go broody the first two weeks they were laying.
    All but two snapped out of it pretty quickly when I took out the golf balls and kept removing eggs.

I never saw the behavior you are describing just prior to laying... it almost sounds as if she is going
    broody. I don't think it would surprise me at all to see one go broody before she ever laid an egg [​IMG]

5. cheryl98117

cheryl98117 Songster

May 13, 2009
    Indianola Washington
    Quote:5 of 8 pullets are broody?!? Wow! lol

The cockeral I have from you has got to be THE single sweetest bird I have ever met. And he has yet to even attempt to crow! I love these birds, large, full beards and muffs, bluer than blue legs, and sweet as can be! They are just pain awsome birds!

Im glad to hear that she is right on track, she's the largest, even larger than the cockeral! At least for the moment! I wound up with 2 bw pullets, 4 wheaton pullets, and the wheaton cockeral.

Oh and [​IMG] Hi right back!

6. cpartist

cpartist Songster

Aug 29, 2009
    Alachua County FL

The cockeral I have from you has got to be THE single sweetest bird I have ever met. And he has yet to even attempt to crow! I love these birds, large, full beards and muffs, bluer than blue legs, and sweet as can be! They are just pain awsome birds!

Im glad to hear that she is right on track, she's the largest, even larger than the cockeral! At least for the moment! I wound up with 2 bw pullets, 4 wheaton pullets, and the wheaton cockeral.

You really got a good mix from your hatch [​IMG]

They really are the sweetest, friendliest birds, aren't they....personality plus.

Do not be surprised if you find that cockerel sitting in the nest box,
    showing the girls where to lay and chattering away to them...
    ALL mine have done this....it is hilarious [​IMG]

(They are probably the reason I have so many broodies)...they want to be baby daddy's [​IMG]

7. dwegg

dwegg Songster

Does a particular color lay the bluest egg? wheaton, blue, black, white..ect or does it depend on the individual bird?... I hatched out 7 blue chicks and only got one female [​IMG] I LOVED the boys...they were so sweet but as I am a city chickener I had to give the boys away to other homes [​IMG]

I really want to 'spin the wheel' and hatch some more but I couldn't cope getting more boys and having to find them homes.... [​IMG]

8. cheryl98117

cheryl98117 Songster

May 13, 2009
    Indianola Washington

You really got a good mix from your hatch [​IMG]

They really are the sweetest, friendliest birds, aren't they....personality plus.

Do not be surprised if you find that cockerel sitting in the nest box,
    showing the girls where to lay and chattering away to them...
    ALL mine have done this....it is hilarious [​IMG]

(They are probably the reason I have so many broodies)...they want to be baby daddy's [​IMG]

Friendly is an understatement! They are so personable and friendly that I worry that I will step on them when I enter the run! lol [​IMG] The funny thing about these birds to me is that during the day they will go into the coop, but at night they all huddle together in the corner of their run! I have to go out and pick each one up and place them in the coop! Silly spoilt birds that they are!
    One of the BW pullets had to be removed from the rest when she was younger. The others picked her vent bloody and removed all her tail pin feathers. So I carefully put her in with the baby bbs Am's that I hatched out. And she MOTHERED them! [​IMG] She wasn't quite 2 months old, and she would fluff up and cover all 11 chicks under her! She is still the sweetest pullet out of the group, still also the smallest, but I also think she looks the best out of all 6 pullets! I really like her body type, nice creamy wheaton color with very little if any color anywhere but the tail and wing tips. I'll have to get some good pictures and get some oppinions on her. Theres just something about this one little pullet that draws they eye.

9. cpartist

cpartist Songster

Aug 29, 2009
    Alachua County FL
    That is TOO funny about your maternal two month old!

I have one broody that will sit on top of the other hens when they are in the nest box to lay,
    with her wings spread over them. I guess she is pretending they are her babies [​IMG]

10. Cochin378

Cochin378 Songster

Aug 12, 2010
    Hello everyone,
    I have a question. How much would you charge for some very nice Wheaten Amercuana roosters?
    These could probably win some shows the problem is that I have too many roosters right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by