Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. 1MrsMagoo

1MrsMagoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    Quote:Thanks. I am so happy that they are splash! It looks like I have to put the splash cockerel over the blue hens anyway, so that should help the markings. I think I remember reading that you get more splash offspring from the blue x splash combo. If I put the splash hen with the black cockerel, would that still work, or should she go with the splash?

Thanks again.

I would go with your plan- you should get about 50/50 blues and splashes with your roo over the blue girls. The splash hen will give you all blues if she's in the black pen, but I'd be interested to see what shades and degree of lacing you can get from her. I am on my second orp roo of that color and I am hoping he doesn't get eaten like his predecesor so I can hatch some blues.

Eaten...oh no [​IMG] .
    Thanks for the answer and advice. I am going to do very limited breeding until I finish my other two coops and bring in a couple more blood lines. I know which three flocks the breeder got his birds from originally: He was only a couple generations into his program. The hens with defects are going under a Black Copper Maran rooster to breed olive egg layers or into the general laying flock for egg sales. Once they are a bit bigger and more filled out, I will get some pictures of them for advice from everyone here.

2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Quote:All my 20 week old chicks from Luanne are just the ABSOLUTE MOST friendliest chickens I have EVER had. The boys are SO talkative and SO cute, they sing the "treat song" to me and even follow me around and dance and crouch for me. I can pick any of them up without trying. I just LOVE them and their personalities are wonderful. I am going to use the roos from hers over my WM hens to see if I can get the babies to be just as friendly. [​IMG]

In fact I need to get a pic of one of my boys which I think is the best looking and have you guys critique him for me.... off to find the camera... [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  3. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    Would you all say that ameraucanas are sexed most accurately by feathing in, leg size or comb indications? I have 3 pure black ameraucanas from malapine farm. I suspect I have 2 roo's. Not sure what to look for on the comb! Thanks so much!

4. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:Combs (bigger, more prominent, pinker), but it can take awhile to sex Ameraucanas accurately. How old are your birds?

5. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    Quote:Combs (bigger, more prominent, pinker), but it can take awhile to sex Ameraucanas accurately. How old are your birds?

2 weeks old! too soon right? [​IMG]

6. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT

Usually around 4-6 weeks you can sex by comb color / comb ridges. [​IMG]

7. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Probably too soon. I had an idea about some at 3 weeks but it's really just a guess at that point. If you're lucky, might be somewhat clearer at 6 weeks, cockerels, at any rate. I have one at 12 weeks that I'm still not absolutely sure about.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  8. cpartist

cpartist Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    Alachua County FL
    Quote:Jeremy...I am so glad that you are enjoying them! The boys seem to be as friendly and sweet, if not more so, than the pullets/hens.

Last year I let one pen that all went broody together hatch and raise chicks in the pen ...and my patriarch roo Ranger was as nurturing
    and good with them as the hens, if not more so.

While I am very serious about breeding these to the SOP and am very selective as to the ones that stay on the farm, I am
    thankful that I have been able to re home my extra cockerels that have not made the "cut". I have found quite a few locals
    that have wanted them for backyard flocks. They are protective, but mellow...and eye candy in the yard. I have no problem
    with putting extra, not to standard, other breeds in the freezer; but I just can not do it with these guys.

It helps that for some reason I have been hatching way more girls than boys [​IMG].

9. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Little update on my lavender and black split for lavender fluffykins n.n They are a week and half old now. Starting to feather out. XD Im a proud momma hen.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. reereechickens

reereechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Reidsville, NC
    Strawberryhousemouse, Those are sooo cute![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by