Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:I've been trying to sell mine anywhere from free to $20 and not even a bite [​IMG] I have some really nice ones too.

2. BBrock

BBrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    cairo ga.
    Quote:If you have a buyer I would say around 15. If you don't have a buyer. I guess u can get the fryer ready

3. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    imho, climbing the poultry mountain of knowledge to realize that wheaten ameraucanas are right there at the top takes some time for us beginners...

4. 1MrsMagoo

1MrsMagoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    Okay, so earlier this year I bought some hatching eggs from a breeder off the Ameraucana Breeders Club list. I drove to his place and picked up the eggs and he gladly showed me his birds. He had all his blue and black birds separated and the eggs were marked as to which pen they came from. He told me that his blue birds had thrown some splash chicks in the past, but he hadn't kept any.

When the eggs hatched all the fuzz balls except two were blue or black: I had two yellow chicks. I think they came from eggs marked from one of his blue pens. Those chicks are now grown and this is what they look like now at 4 months. They are both very pale gray, almost white, with darker gray feathers here and there. It is more predominant on the cockerel than the hen.

I got one cockerel....
    [​IMG]

And one hen (she has Blue Kote on her back...she got plucked so I moved her to the hospital pen: She has now decided that her and my Runner Ducks are buddies, so we built her a loft in the duck house)
    [​IMG]

Are these considered splash?

I did not get a blue cockerel, only one black and the guy shown above. I need to decide what flock he is going to live with, so your help will be greatly appreciated.

5. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Luanne, speaking towards what others have mentioned... my trio of pullets from you are the MOST affectionate and are all very lovely. They're almost always underfoot and are very talkative. One of them I call Honker because she walks around all day honking like a goose. She's always the first to meet me at the gate. Another pullet is named Bear, her beard and muffs are so fluffy and it makes her face look really round, she's also the biggest of the three.

I'd be interested to hatch some eggs from you myself and grow out a few of your boys to see if their personalities are as endearing as the girls in your line. I absolutely love them and certainly do plan on using them for breeding down the road. [​IMG]

6. BBrock

BBrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    cairo ga.
    Im almost sure you have two splashes. The cockrel is for sure. Bread them with black and you will get 100% blues. Bread with blues and you will get more splashes. Both look good

7. 1MrsMagoo

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    Quote:Thanks for the reply. I absolutely love this breed: They are the calmest and sweetest birds I have right now. The hen pictured is my favorite chicken ever...a very nice girl that has no problems with being handled what-so-ever.

8. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Very nice! Yes- both are splash. If you pen them seperately and only breed them to bloes or blacks you will improve the markings on your splash birds. When you breed splash to splash too often you can end up with birds that are more off-white than spotted. It all depends on what you like, really, but you're off to a nice start. [​IMG]

9. 1MrsMagoo

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    Quote:Very nice! Yes- both are splash. If you pen them seperately and only breed them to bloes or blacks you will improve the markings on your splash birds. When you breed splash to splash too often you can end up with birds that are more off-white than spotted. It all depends on what you like, really, but you're off to a nice start. [​IMG]

Thanks. I am so happy that they are splash! It looks like I have to put the splash cockerel over the blue hens anyway, so that should help the markings. I think I remember reading that you get more splash offspring from the blue x splash combo. If I put the splash hen with the black cockerel, would that still work, or should she go with the splash?

Thanks again.

10. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN

Thanks. I am so happy that they are splash! It looks like I have to put the splash cockerel over the blue hens anyway, so that should help the markings. I think I remember reading that you get more splash offspring from the blue x splash combo. If I put the splash hen with the black cockerel, would that still work, or should she go with the splash?

Thanks again.

I would go with your plan- you should get about 50/50 blues and splashes with your roo over the blue girls. The splash hen will give you all blues if she's in the black pen, but I'd be interested to see what shades and degree of lacing you can get from her. I am on my second orp roo of that color and I am hoping he doesn't get eaten like his predecesor so I can hatch some blues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by