Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    OMG can't tell you all how excited we are for our very first hatched chick. I am now the proud owner of one (more to come!) wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucana chick! My eggs came from Denise at Paradise Found Farm.
    Please forgive me while I post pics of my first hatch. I promise I will not do this for every chick that hatches [​IMG]

I came home from work to find this on day 20!
    [​IMG]

We watched and watched and the chick really only managed to make the hole a little bigger all night. I was getting a little concerned and I didn't want the little thing to get too tired. I had the temps constant and and humidity up. The membrane did not look too tough. Chick was able to break it easily. Then 7:30 am that little guy had had enough and just started zipping the shell right open! It only took 30 mins to zip.
    [​IMG]

We recorded the whole thing on my iphone. I had to wake up the little ones so they could watch the miracle! Our spare bathroom is our chick "nursery".
    [​IMG]

Then it happened! The little... I mean HUGE chick busted out of that egg. I could not believe that whole chick was folded up into that egg! Amazing! The kids got to see the whole thing. Amazing [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We are going to name him Balto. He will be our first rooster. Such a sweet little thing! Can't wait till he dries off.
    [​IMG]

2. tman332003

tman332003 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2008
    sw Mi.
    Quote:congrats ! the first is always pretty exciting. Thanks for sharing :)

3. Arizonachicken

Arizonachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Scottsdale, AZ
    How neat! Congrats![​IMG]. [​IMG] Just curious, how can you tell he's a roo?[​IMG]

4. Christie Rhae

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Quote:lol intuition? lol I have no idea. You know when you are pregnant you just "have a feeling" what sex your baby is? Was hoping maybe it worked the same way with hatching chicks. [​IMG]

5. Arizonachicken

Arizonachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Scottsdale, AZ
    [​IMG] I get it now! You know I've had 4 children and I'm preggers with my 5th. I have never had a feeling one way or the other![​IMG] if I ever start hatching chicks, I'm not even going to try to guess![​IMG]

6. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Hey! If Christie says it's a roo, then it's a roo! If it grows without a roo tail and lays eggs, then I'm sure she can pin some tail feathers on it.! [​IMG]
    Congratulations! [​IMG] You're a new Mommy, well "Mommyhen" at least!! [​IMG]
    Denise

7. Christie Rhae

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Quote:[​IMG] thank you Denise!

Can't wait for it to dry off and get fluffy like the chicks in your avatar pic!

8. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Quote:
    I have this question too. Some of my BlueWh boys have almost orange hackles and some are pale yellow... which is desired?

Thanks!

9. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Can you guys please critique my cockerel!!! [​IMG] This is my best looking Wheaten (IMO). So please be honest! Thinking about keeping him for the breeder pen... He's 19 weeks old. For some reason he has REALLY pretty feathering while the other boys are kinda ratty... I call him Blue #4... lol. THANK YOU!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

THANK YOU!

10. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:I can attest that the boys are as endearing as the girls! SWEET, SWEET, SWEET ! ! !

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by