Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Clean hackles is a goal of mine this year, one of my biggest. My current roo Claude has black striping towards the ends of his hackle feathers but the color of them overall is good, a nice red orange that isn't bleached looking. However, I really, really want a boy without marked hackles.

I've got 2 Wheaten cockerels growing out, both have black markings but they're still young. My Splash Wheaten boy is somewhat deceptive. He has white (Splash) striping in his hackles but it's minimal... he may just out grow it? All of my Blue Wheaten boys are still way young to tell whether or not they'll be free of striping.

It's going to be hard to let go of any of them really, I like each one for a different reason

Cari, I really like the first boy you posted pictures of, for a bird that young he looks great. IMO.

Kathy, your Blue Wheaten cockerel is a cutie. He looks like he'll mature into something beautiful.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  2. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Songster

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    I would love to hear some of your educated guesses on my 5 chicks over in the What breed or gender is this forum. I posted pics of my blue ameraucanas. Thanks so much. It's so hard waiting to see who I get to keep (no roos in town [​IMG])

3. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Songster

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Quote:Sorry. Easter Eggers. The leg color is wrong.

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Crowing

Jun 19, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:Sorry. Easter Eggers. The leg color is wrong.

Wait 'till they get a little bigger then we can tell you more easily.

5. Cass

Cass Songster

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Quote:I think that's one you have to give away, he's not right. I'LL TAKE HIM.

Wow, what a beautiful roo. I'm very inexperienced, but he looks wonderful to me.

6. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:I think that's one you have to give away, he's not right. I'LL TAKE HIM.

Wow, what a beautiful roo. I'm very inexperienced, but he looks wonderful to me.

LoL thanks! When you go out into the yard he immediately stands out, he is just gorgeous. [​IMG] Even my boyfriend (who knows next to nothing about chickens) was like "Wow he is really pretty". LOL!

7. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Songster

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    so, if i am understanding correctly, the ameraucana roosters are sweet birds?

i'm hoping. ever since we got ours in april from TSC (yes, i know, a mixed breed, but he has a heavily ameraucana base), there has been one chick i have taken out to help it find worms, and my daughter has been playing with him since we got him (he was colored differently than the others). we were hoping he would be a she, but he developed the long, pointy saddle feathers. well, i was hoping, i wanted to keep one of my cochin roosters, but now i have to keep him because my daughter will absolutely not part with him.

anyway, i'm hoping he stays as sweet as he is now. at the moment there is another rooster who holds the dominant position, and fuzzy cheeks (her rooster) could care less. he's very curious, friendly and will interact with her. she'll talk to him, and he'll do a couple balk balks and look at her. she carries him everywhere, and he just sits there, feet dangling, and sometimes even close his eyes and chill for a bit.

out of 6 EE chicks, we ended up with 1 hen and 5 roosters, so i could use a rooster to get more EE's with my hen next spring. so, i'll keep him, but i'm just worried once his juevos drop (in other words, hit puberty), he'll turn mean.

8. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:
    Yes mine are very nice. HOWEVER you must always present yourself as the "lead roo"... just like with a dog; YOU have to be dominant at all times.

9. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Ok here's my five boys. I plan on keeping the best two (or three) for breeding... HELP ME DECIDE WHICH TWO (or three)!!!!!!!! Thanks!

Blue #4 The prettiest, pretty friendly.
    [​IMG]

Blue #3 The pink legged guy, VERY VERY sweet.
    [​IMG]

Blue #1 Biggest, but has slightly curled middle toes, average friendy.
    [​IMG]

Blue #8 Skinniest, and 2nd most scardy guy, but better than #9.
    [​IMG]

Blue #9, not the friendliest, he actually bit me when I picked him up, but I think I scared him. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I would keep #4 & #9.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by