Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:I had a solid blue chick from a splash ee/ lav Ameraucana breeding I did just for fun. She looked blue barred as a youngster but it went away as she matured, she has next to no lacing now though.

I wouldn't worry about that neck feathering until they are older, see what they do then, they might just be in a "weird" stage right now. That first pic also doesn't look to have much in the beard department, but again, I would wait a little longer since they are young. [​IMG]
  2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Ha! It almost looks like huge tufts! I've has a few birds growing out that I swore a frizzle hopped the fence somewhere, but they grew out fine. I think the blues will be fine for you too. Love that little blue roo- I have a blue orp roo about the same age and they're just so darn cute at that stage.
  3. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    I have many breeds of chickens, and in 2010 I got some chicks from a well known breeder and chick seller. All the pullets died within a short time and the three cockerels that I kept to grow out have been the worst trouble makers of any birds I have had. I would not exactly say they are flighty as relates to humans, but much less amiable than other breeds. Some of the other breeds have a reputation for being flight or somewhat wild, but they have not been for me. Have I had an unusual experience, or would this be the norm ? I should mention that the color variety is Wheaten, although I suspect that would not be a substantial factor ?
  4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Doesn't sound much like wheaten ameraucanas at all. Silvers can be flighty, but I keep wheatens, buffs, lavenders, and blacks and they are all pretty tame. If you got them when they were older- especially if they were broody-raised that sometimes contributes to less desireable temperments.
  5. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Overrun With Chickens

Jun 19, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:ladies love a guy that wears pink...or so I have heard... [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

In this case it must be true!
  6. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    I am interested in getting some ameraucanas now that I disperssed my flock of EE's and MM hatchery hens.
    Which colors of the ameraucanas lay the best colored eggs consistently. I am thinking of either the black or the white LF. How's the color on the BBS?
  7. Hennypen

Hennypen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    I'm not sure egg color is "bird color" dependent. I think it's more dependent on which line of birds. peachicks eggs are more blue than others I've gotten. But she breeds for egg color and not for a show quality bird. I'd ask to see the egg color of the line you're thinking of buying from before buying. Jmho
  8. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Quote:My whites and my wheatens lay about the same color egg. They come from really good lines. However, my whites lay better than the wheatens. They rarely take a day off, it's amazing. They're the best most consistant layers I have. My whites are also calmer and more friendly.
  9. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
  10. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by