Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    When something as silly as that person's post comes up what can you do but laugh ? The person who wrote the carigs list add reminds me of a person who can not read and is very defensive about their ignorance and can not see that the problem belongs to them and limits only them.

2. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

I'd still like to see what paperwork is produced if someone actually asks to see it.

3. wingsofglory

wingsofglory Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Palmer Alaska
    This name confusion has gone on for years - I remember here back at least to 2003, maybe before.

Put yourself in the shoes of a new person, all enthusiastic about getting into chickens, buying clearly marked "Ameraucanas" from the hatchery, innocently entering them in the Fair or posting on BYC their proud pictures, and getting: [fill in the appropriate inflammatory phrase here] put down, with righteous indignation by 'cana breeders.

One of the hatcheries understands this, Purely Poultry I think, and labels them Easter Eggers. And technically, the hatchery birds are not Auracanas, so other hatcheries don't use that name anymore, although I ran across one hatchery this spring that still does. But I wish a solution would be found for this - the ripple of hurt feelings, made to look a fool, etc spreads wide and has hurt a lot of newbies and legitimate breeders of Ameraucanas, even on this board.

I found this same snobbery in horse circles when I was a kid and burning to learn to ride, and it hurt really bad. Its because it is not merely informing a mistake or helping a newbie learn, but comes out of oneupmanship and superiority and [fill in inflammatory phrase here]. To an outsider, this is a cruel inside joke.

4. BuffyGRL

BuffyGRL Chillin' With My Peeps

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Hey BuffyGRL, do you have any extra silver cockerels or roos? And, who's line are they?

Thanks,

6. BuffyGRL

I purchased them from a lady who moved back to Israel, she said her sister ordered them from John Blehm. Along with the Black Ameraucana hens and Lavender Hen and Roo that I have. I had some Bantam Silvers and Wheatens and like a fool I sold them. Just had too many projects going on. [​IMG]

I have 3 young (almost 3 month old pullets) that I would sell and maybe 1 Cockeral ( I will have to check tomorrow to see what I have). The last 11 eggs I shipped the lady reported 100% hatch rate

7. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I just need a LF cockerel, the one I purchased to restart my silver project was carrying yellow skin and now I have the yellow skin gene. So, he has to go and so do alot of the females..... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  8. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    Quote:I hear you on this. That is certainly an empathetic understanding, and you are to be commended for being able to see both sides. It does hurt when you think you have one thing, only to find out otherwise. On the flip side to that, I've had people be VERY rude to me over this very thing, when I know I handled it very tactfully and with a very gentle educational intent.

Some people are open to learning, and others are not.

9. BuffyGRL

pips&peeps :

I just need a LF cockerel, the one I purchased to restart my silver project was carrying yellow skin and now I have the yellow skin gene. So, he has to go and so do alot of the females..... [​IMG]

Ewww, I am so sorry. Thats a bummer. I know I have one extra but he is clean faced, out of 14 eggs I hatched from my Trio, he is the only clean faced one..Otherwise he looks pretty good. The only problem I have had is some of the Roosters have a large comb. I have 1 Cockeral for my pullets whose comb is a "little" big but not as big as his fathers.

The Rooster I have is getting Older and I kept one because I wanted a back up..That leaves me with a clean faced one and 1 other cockeral, not sure if I am gonna have to keep him or not. I will definately let you know if I am going to get rid of him [​IMG].

Would you want eggs? I only have 2 hens laying so I can't really ship many. The last ones I shipped, some were as old as 7-10 days and they all hatched.​

10. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by