Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. ByN8ureHomstead

ByN8ureHomstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:This is my guess, I could be wrong. cockerels have 3 row combs.

The one to the right in believe is a boy the rest are girls. Top left may be a boy
    [​IMG]

I think the blue is a boy
    [​IMG]

Boy
    [​IMG]

Girl
    [​IMG]

Dark blue/black looks like a boy
    [​IMG]

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:John's lines do not have orpington in them to my knowledge.

Did he use d'anvers? I don't have any Blehm birds, but my Shaffer and Smith birds are a little on the big and fluffy, broody side. Maybe some of the personality will rub off on the stupid black hen I have. What a spaz.

Yep, the first ones developed by ABC members were the bantams.

3. livin-green

livin-green Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Clay, Alabama
    Quote:I'm awful at sexing them until it's plainly obvious, but I think I'd have to agree with BNF. In the first group photo, I also noticed the one on the right is already looking like roo feathering, too. All of my hens have little to no comb like the blonde chicken pictured (is that one your Wheatons or the EE?). Hopefully you'll have more pullets than you're expecting! [​IMG]

4. livin-green

livin-green Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Clay, Alabama
    Quote:Thanks for posting the photos! I love this roo--so pretty! I found Randy on the ABC directory and see that he only has the Wheaten varieties. I currently only have BBS (well, actually no blacks, yet--still working on that), but I'd love to add some Wheaten soon. Running out of space here, though, so it will have to wait at least another year. [​IMG]

5. stevin

stevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Dartmouth, Ma
    i had started a thread about silver ameraucanas, but i figure that it will get more attention here.
    back in april/may i picked some silver from john blehm. out of 8 chicks i ended up w/ 4 pullets & 4 roos....
    i will be keeping a rooster, i'm just unsure of what i should be looking for. can anyone with knowledge/experience with the silvers offer some advice?
    i will be taking pictures of my birds so that the experts can critique...

also,
    if anyone has pictures of their silvers , could you share...?

thanx,
    stevin

6. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Thanks for looking at my pics. Looks like my runt may be my only girl. (She's the one with vent issues [​IMG])

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have 2 silver girls, didn't get any silver boys. I had another girl but she died from having a rough winter the year before(lost outside for 2 days). Poor thing's body couldn't handle the cold after that it seems as she passed as soon as the weather starting getting to freezing. My 2 girls are clean faced(the one that died had a huge beard/muff) but I got them in the early stages of creation (I believe) in 2008 and since I didn't have a roo I didn't pursue. I do have 2 nice looking cockerals that are the result of a blue wheaten roo over the silver hens. I will see if I can get a pic of them...they were broody raised so they aren't real friendly and run away

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  8. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    Quote:I have some silvers. They are from John, too. They are still fairly young so it is hard to tell exactly what they will look like, but I will be posting pictures in the next month or so. They are really pretty. I also have black, lavender and some very pretty wheaten. Oh, yes... and one buff rooster.

9. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    OK I found the picture that's confusing me. Sorry I didn't save the OP name, I saved the pic to show my DH. This hen clearly has three ridges, or rather the outer edges stand up a little. This is the photo that gives me hope lol. Or is this a mature hen and mine are too young to have the outer edge developed. I guess I'm not clear on how much a hens pea comb can vary. Gee can you tell I'm grasping at straws here....I so wanted pullets.

[​IMG]

10. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    Quote:Thanks for posting the photos! I love this roo--so pretty! I found Randy on the ABC directory and see that he only has the Wheaten varieties. I currently only have BBS (well, actually no blacks, yet--still working on that), but I'd love to add some Wheaten soon. Running out of space here, though, so it will have to wait at least another year. [​IMG]

whew! thanks!

I really like that Blue Roo too, waiting for Randy to let me take him home... I keep offering...

ya know, I went there wanting BBS Ameraucanas last year..around October, same thing, I was in Georgia at the inlaws and found Randy thru the breeders forum, gave him a call and he said "come on by".

I too like the Splash ameracuanas and thought the same thing to myself as I was not que'd into Wheatens at that time, imho, I have now come to believe that Wheaten Ameraucanas are one of the Pinnacles of Poultry... you have so many things to breed for like egg color, a tri-colored bird, egg size, leg color, feather quality, and then once you get close to getting all that, remember egg color...then repeat...

luckily, plenty of knowledge and knowledgeable people in this thread, we are in the right place... best of luck!

TD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by