Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Huh? lol

With her mouth open like that she looked like she's crowing. lol

Oh I get it lol. Funny!!!!

2. mtngrl812

mtngrl812 Chillin' With My Peeps

Here is a pic of my two "Ameraucana" I bought from the feed store.

[​IMG]
    this is baby Ethel

[​IMG]
    this is baby Lucy

[​IMG]
    this is Lucy (in the back ground) and "Ethel"... now named Ricky

[​IMG]
    Lucy cleaning up after morning browsing.

[​IMG]
    Ricky looking charming

I am pretty sure they aren't really Ameraucanas but they sure have some of the traits I have noticed people talking about. What do you guys think?

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    They are pretty ee's [​IMG]

4. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    VERY pretty EEs! even as chicks. Is lucy laying eggs and if so what color ? Please repost on the EE thread-folks there wull love them. go gaga even !!! [​IMG]
    Quote:

5. cpartist

cpartist Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    Alachua County FL
    Quote:excellent WMR!, do we know which Rooski made the final cut of the "bachelorettes"? was it #4? [​IMG]

I am excited for ya, like the way you do your thing, congrats!

@ Luanne- THANK YOU!!! I'm VERY excited! I was going to wait a bit to set some, but then the first one I cracked WAS fertile, so I said what they hey, and set them! Candled and ALL are developing, pleasantly surprised!!! [​IMG]

@ Model A- Thank you! I kept three males, 3, 4 and 9. I *believe* it was either 3 or 4 that is fertilizing everyone, we will have to wait and see when the babies come out! [​IMG]

Ya know I'd love to hear how others have done with those first pullet eggs. I usually wait until the eggs are larger...6-8 weeks. But I recently had a hatch of some Olive Eggers.
    The Wheatie I put in the Marans pen for this went broody after 2 weeks of laying, so I put some of her tiny first eggs in the bator. 3 of 4 hatched and at 5 weeks old are the same size
    as their Marans and Wheatie hatchmates....thinking the genetics and not egg size is what determines the bird size...but would really like to hear of others experiences.

I have set a group of BLRW first week eggs just to check if the one roo is pure for rose comb. I was not planning on raising any of these...but just may to see what the outcome is.

6. mtngrl812

mtngrl812 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:
    I shall repost over there. Lucy is not laying yet, maybe sometime next month I am thinking.

7. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Quote:
    I will definitely let you know how they turn out! I was always curious too, I've heard by some that you shouldn't hatch them and by others that it's ok they just take a bit of time to "catch up" to other chicks their age, but I will definitely let you know. [​IMG]

8. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    So I was looking at my chicks today, decided to take some pics of them now that they are really feathering out, and noticed one of my black chicks has 1 wing that's feathers are turned upwards. Is this common, will the chick grow out of it? Ive only seen this in frizzle birds and this one is not a frizzle so Im a little stumped. Here's a photo.

[​IMG]

9. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Sometimes their feathers will curl if the brooder is too hot.

10. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    pips&peeps :

Sometimes their feathers will curl if the brooder is too hot.

These was in a brooder for just 3 days after hatch. Ive had them outside the rest of the time cause its been so warm here this year that the brooder would be too hot to keep them in. They're in an outside pen like the rest of my birds. Temps have been in the 80's-90's​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by