Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I've gotten 2 black pullets with stubs from 2 different sources that are very reputable breeders, I just sold the pullets as layers.

2. BuffyGRL

BuffyGRL Chillin' With My Peeps

Does anyone breed LF Black Gold Ameraucanas? I will check the ABC Breeder List just thought I would ask around BYC Thanks!

3. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I'M NOW GOING OUT AND CHECKING ALL MY BIRDS FOR STUBS JUST IN CASE! lol!

I'm not sure of any LF Black Gold breeders I am aware of a few bantam. I would check with Mike Gilbert to be sure though

4. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Quote:OK. I have 2 pullets that are Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas that are clean faced and of pet quality. I also have a sister that I bought with them that has the beard n muffs. I also bought eggs to hatch from the same breeder who all have beards n muffs. I haVe a young Wheaten cockeral from a different breeder to use with the girls that meet the standard.
    The clean faced girls will stay with the layer flock used for eating eggs.
    So if this is part of the breed trait that they may throw clean faces I should not be too concerned and just sell them as pet quality? I am planning on getting a breed coop n run setup for these guys in the fall when the temps cool down.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    No no, I mean it is part of the breed trait to have beard/muffs. Clean faces are an absolute no-no. Sorry for the confusion.

One should NEVER breed a clean-faced Ameraucana for an actual purebred program unless she's got another trait of absolute necessity and the owner considers the risk of having the clean face pop up in future generations, and gets rid of that risk.

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Yes, it happens if the birds do not have two copies of the muff and beard gene. Just don't breed from the clean faced birds and when your get your breeding flock up and going try to pick only the birds that have big full beards. If they have a small beard and muff, it is the indicator that they only have one copy of the gene.

Sometimes though you can't tell that they are only carrying on copy of the gene. And if you can't tell then the breeder would have to test breed each individual bird in the breeding pen.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  7. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Ah, ok. Thanks for the information.
    The 2 clean faced girls will get to live in the layer flock for sure. (Cinnimon (Silkie) will be happy as he has a big crush on them)

All of the bearded girls get to stay with Cotton. They already hang out with him alot.

8. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:Considering the fact that Ameraucanas were only accepted as a breed in 1984, and before the large fowl varieties had even been developed, you should not be surprized when recessives or even incomplete dominates sport out in your chicks, regardless of the reputation of the breeder you purchased them from. While even the most ancient breeds have breeders still trying to "improove" them, I look at Ameraucanas very much as a breed still in developement, but with an official standard to guide you. IMO, knowledge of the standard, keeping track of the breedings to determine which bird or line of birds is carrying unwanted genes [or not pure for essential genes], and a willingness to cull, are very important to the continued growth of this infant breed.

9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:ParadiseFound was going to start working on them, I think.

10. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:Considering the fact that Ameraucanas were only accepted as a breed in 1984, and before the large fowl varieties had even been developed, you should not be surprized when recessives or even incomplete dominates sport out in your chicks, regardless of the reputation of the breeder you purchased them from. While even the most ancient breeds have breeders still trying to "improove" them, I look at Ameraucanas very much as a breed still in developement, but with an official standard to guide you. IMO, knowledge of the standard, keeping track of the breedings to determine which bird or line of birds is carrying unwanted genes [or not pure for essential genes], and a willingness to cull, are very important to the continued growth of this infant breed.

Very well said Steve!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by