1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I love this thread, very informative! Thank you all for sharing your passion and knowledge for Ameraucanas!

That being said, I wanted to know if anyone has ever heard of a hatchery that DOES produce purebred (if not high quality) Ameraucanas. I know that hatcheries call their EE's Ameraucanas, so you can't go by what they say at all. However, I have a bird that I bought from my local hatchery (which has really good stock, I've been very impressed so far) that I was fully convinced was an EE.

Illia was kind enough to identify her as a Silver, and at the time I figured there was no reason to assume that she was really an Ameraucana as the hatchery had claimed.

Now that she is older and fully feathered, however, I'm starting to wonder. From all the pictures I've been able to find, she's indistinguishable from a purebred Silver Ameraucana. Granted I'm no authority or judge, but I'm scratching my head over it now.
    Unfortunately she's not laying eggs yet, so I can't just get the issue settled by the egg-color either.

Please let me know if you've heard of hatcheries that actually do produce Ameraucanas. Thanks for any info that you can provide [​IMG]

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Nope they do not.

Takes too much time, energy, money and space to breed them by color. Most hatcheries won't do it because they want to sell the chicks cheep cheep cheep.

I take that back, Sandhill has some blacks.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Sandhill claims to have blacks and I believe whites too, but beyond that, no one else does.

It isn't impossible to get a silver duckwing colored EE from a hatchery who matches the SOP quite well, but actually using her as an Ameraucana is risky. The number one thing they often lack is the right leg color. Two, is some girls who appear silver may actually carry blue, colombian, or other genes. (such as too much melanizer)

4. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    I need to know, is this a cockerel? I don't have current full body pics (this was taken while they were dustbathing and the only full body I have is at 11 weeks old). Name's Sandy and she's ([​IMG]) 14 1/2 weeks old. This one is the only one with the peacomb most apparent right now but it is not huge or red. Maybe I'll just wait and see..but waiting for gender is killing me!!
    [​IMG]

5. marlowmanor

marlowmanor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Linwood,NC
    Is there anyone in the NC area around Lexington, Salisbury or Winston-Salem that has Ameraucana chicks for sale? Interested in getting a couple to add to our flock. Currently have 2 RIR pullets, 1 BR cockerel and 5 Straight Run EEs. All are 4 weeks old so we would like chicks close in age if possible. If you have anything or know someone who does send me a message please letting me know what you have, what they cost and where you are located. Prefer pullets please. We already have the BR cockerel ansd believe at least 1 of our EEs is also male. Looking to get 2-4 chicks. Although I know that Splash is not an accepted color in Ameraucanas I would be interested in those too if you have them since they are very nice looking birds too! We do not show chickens so as long as they are friendly pet quality chickens we are ok with them.[​IMG]

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:Don't have a clue..my two are still unkown sexes! [​IMG] I know I have at least one male, but no clue what the other one is. I can't tell them apart so don't know which one is the male anymore.

~ Aspen

7. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:Pullet [​IMG]

8. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:Pullet [​IMG]

Yep! [​IMG]

9. stitch_b

stitch_b Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    Hey guys has any body noticed any fertility issues with blue wheatons? Im wrapping up my second hatch attempt and both times I had all clears on the blue wheaton eggs. I also got buff amercauna from the same breeder and all of them were fertile and 3/4 made it to lockdown. Is this a common thing like how aracaunas have low fertility or something else playing a role?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  10. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Not really a common thing. I had some issues when I had one roo to 15 hens, but now I keep 2 or 3 roos over 20 hens and fertility has been perfect. Do you mark your eggs? Maybe its just one hen that likes to hang out away from the group?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by