Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:Jeremy you have made my day!!
    It should be pure ameraucana and the brothers were beautiful BWs, but accidents do happen I suppose. Does it not look pure to you?

2. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:Jeremy you have made my day!!
    It should be pure ameraucana and the brothers were beautiful BWs, but accidents do happen I suppose. Does it not look pure to you?

She does, I just said that because you mentioned it.

Oh and

Quote:But then what would I use as an excuse to hatch more eggs?! [​IMG]

3. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:Sigh... I know where you are comming from. dh keep a beedy eye on the bators [​IMG] . He complains about all the power they use - even checked the wattage. Thing is we are 100% SOLAR powered !!!!!! WTH??????

Better keep her then, BUT looks like I may have my very very own [​IMG] - SHE is so sweet!! I think I may have to get a bunch more and rehome the leghorns.

4. Helen in the Desert

Helen in the Desert Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Palm Springs
    Quote:Considering the fact that Ameraucanas were only accepted as a breed in 1984, and before the large fowl varieties had even been developed, you should not be surprized when recessives or even incomplete dominates sport out in your chicks, regardless of the reputation of the breeder you purchased them from. While even the most ancient breeds have breeders still trying to "improove" them, I look at Ameraucanas very much as a breed still in developement, but with an official standard to guide you. IMO, knowledge of the standard, keeping track of the breedings to determine which bird or line of birds is carrying unwanted genes [or not pure for essential genes], and a willingness to cull, are very important to the continued growth of this infant breed.

Very well said Steve!!

Thanks! I will cull them out.

5. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    Cloverleaf Farm and BarnGoddess, I hope you're right! I don't need to rehome any more of these sweeties ( I don't have the thick skin for it!). They make me laugh because all 3 are always together.

6. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    I am so lucky to have inherited Smoky. He is slowly getting acquainted to his new hens.

Quote:

7. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    Has he started dancing for them yet? Or he is probably too young for that just now.

8. Hennypen

Hennypen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    What are stubbs?

9. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    pips&peeps :

Sometimes they go through a "fugly" stage where they look like they don't have a beard and muff. But if they had them as chicks, they should have them as adults.

Stubs are feathers on the legs.

Quote:Are they talking about spurs?

They are talking about feather stubs.​

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  10. blackbirds13

blackbirds13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Southern New Hampshire
    When I bought my first Ameraucana pullets last year I was so excited...until I posted here and discovered that not only was one of my pullets not a pullet, but even worse that both my birds were not Ameraucanas in the true sense, I was crushed. My mom said I should call the folks I got them from and speak my mind, but to be honest for someone who is usually a bit outspoken I did not. I felt cheated, and foolish because I felt I did not do the research I should have done. [​IMG] It seems that alot of folks think that all chickens are the same, even my husbands grandfather was amazed at the number of breeds and he grew up on a farm and to this day still can't abide the smell of animal processing - a lot of people don't know chickens lay blue eggs. I didn't, but when I found out I wanted some. I just assumed folks knew what they had and would be honest about what they were selling - now I'm not sure if that's true. This craigslist add is from the same folks I got my birds from. They have a lot of breeds and are NPIP so they must be knowledgeable - right? [​IMG] These are always on craigslist in NH

Chickens - Ameraucana pullets

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Date: 2011-07-18, 10:05PM EDT
    Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ameraucanas, known as the "Easter Egg Breed", are a multicolored breed. Ameraucanas are excellent, efficient producers of beautiful large to jumbo eggs of many colors and shades including blue, turquoise, green to deep olive. Pullets come in all colors, plain and fancy, just like the adults. This is a unique breed and great fun to have when the colored eggs start coming. A very winter hardy,quiet, docile and friendly breed. 8 weeks old. Fully feathered and out in the house. N.P.I.P. certified flock. $12.00 each for sexed pullets[females] I have 8 left. Call ********** Farms *********** *or e-mail

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2501394378

[​IMG]

I have my Paul Smith birds now and so I am over the moon (2 Lav pullets (from John Blemm according to paul), 1 black female and male and 1 blue female) - I sold off the rest of my spring shipment. The difference is amazing, even from my shipped egg hatchlings from last year. To the folks who breed these birds into the gorgeous specimens I feel so lucky to have - Thank you. [​IMG]
    I LOVE byc, and am so grateful to be able to lurk around and learn from everyone who posts here!
    [​IMG] just need more coops next year....

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by