Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Quote:
Thanks Illia, that's along the lines of what I was thinking. I'm not planning on breeding her so far, but if she keeps being so temptingly close to standard, I might try to find a local Ameraucana breeder and cross her with their roo, just to see if she is a pure girl.

She's got me in knots
tongue.png
Even her legs match the standard, none of this willow business. I'll try to get a nice pic of her tonight, and post it here tomorrow to see what you all think. Thanks for your answers!

Quote:
I totally agree! I see so many posts on CL advertising Ameraucanas and other than Jeremy's they are almost always EE's.
smile.png
When I sell my EE's I always preface it with "EE's are mistakenly referred to as Ameraucanas..." I always make sure my buyers know that they are mutts coined as Easter Eggers but I guarantee mine will lay blue/green eggs because I know the parent stock.

Funny thing is I almost NEVER have to advertise EE pullets on CL. I usually have wait lists from my posts to sell cockerels that all of my extra pullets are spoken for before they even hatch. Now I have 5 BW Ameraucanas from Wayne Meredith that I've decided I'm not going to keep, I can't sell them to save my life!
idunno.gif

Anyone in the CA Bay Area need a few more BW's?
big_smile.png

Quote:
They're Easter Eggers.

The top boy is a golden duckwing with blue.

The bottom girl is a duckwing / black breasted red with possible columbian.

Technically no recognized color, just, a mix of colors.
smile.png

Thanks, just nice to know what color they are even ifn' they are mutts and not standard.

What should I look for in a black or a white 4 weeks old Ameraucana chick to determine gender. I found a local breeder using the ABC Breeder Directory (he is literally less than a mile away from me) and will likely end up with a black or white chick. Hoping for only pullets. He said the earliest he can sex them is 4 wks, but I want to know what I need to look for to know gender myself too. I know the combs are a good indicator, anything else?

At four weeks it's mostly the combs. But the white variety males tend to feather quite slow.

Look for larger legs and three distinct rows on the combs for males. Females combs should be flat and skin colored at that point.

I've also found that the males are screamers when handled and the females are usually quiet.

pips&peeps :

At four weeks it's mostly the combs. But the white variety males tend to feather quite slow.

Look for larger legs and three distinct rows on the combs for males. Females combs should be flat and skin colored at that point.

I've also found that the males are screamers when handled and the females are usually quiet.

Thanks for the answer. I'm sure being an ABC registered breeder he'll know how to sex chicks well I just want to be well informed myself. He breeds blues and buffs too but has none of them available right now. I think if we can get on a list for the blues to get some of them too we probably will.​

$12 for "sexed" pullets that aren't even what they say they are? Sheesh, I literally gave four pullets away (leghorns & EE's) to someone who was just starting out and they were 12 weeks old.

I had some trouble selling or giving away my Ameraucana cockeral a few weeks ago on Craigslist. I guess people thought I might have meant "EE"?
hu.gif

Last edited:
Trying to sell Ameraucanas to locals is hard. Because of the hatcheries and feedstores and continued people who believe what they say, most people related Easter Eggers and Ameraucanas as the same thing, thus, Ameraucanas are as common as crows, and, who needs another rooster, especially for a price if you've just gotten rid of your last one?
wink.png
The number one reason why I really don't like the fact that people are sadly misinformed about Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers is that it rips the business from the real deal sellers.

JEAN-- Mahonri tells me to tell you this is Geoffrey's son. What do you think about him? He's from the NYD hatch.

Forgive his stance---I snuck up on him while he was sleeping. He's kind of a wuss.

36979_img_9679.jpg

36979_img_9668ss.jpg

Quote:
At one point I was getting desperate. Luckily flower got a hold of me and asked me if she could take him. Now if only none of the others are cockerels I'll be happy
yippiechickie.gif

Just gotta get a farm so I can keep some roos.

Back
Top Bottom