Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    Quote:pretty bird!

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Right now he looks a little raggity. I would be keeping him if he were mine to see how he finishes out.

His eye color looks good and so do his hackles. You'll want to make sure there is no leakage around the front of his breast where the blue and the hackles come together. It's pretty common.

Also make sure his beard turns blue or most of it, if it stays white, don't breed from him.

3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    The beard is pretty spotted. Do you think that it will darken?

You can see him behind the icelandic, trying to hide from me.

[​IMG]

He looks raggity because he sleeps under the waterer with the fountain pump. It's hot and he is a big bird. I feel bad for him.

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    pips&peeps :

Right now he looks a little raggity. I would be keeping him if he were mine to see how he finishes out.

His eye color looks good and so do his hackles. You'll want to make sure there is no leakage around the front of his breast where the blue and the hackles come together. It's pretty common.

Also make sure his beard turns blue or most of it, if it stays white, don't breed from him.

This is good info. I have 5 young BW males that I need to narrow down and judge soon.

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Jean- You motivated me to go get some better pictures. [​IMG]

But of course, BB was hiding under the waterer.
    [​IMG]
    (in case you are wondering, that is actually two birds--a splash wheaton poking his head out, and the BWA's tail on the bottom.

You can see he's still al little wet here:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Did you have any further comments?

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If I were doing BW and W Ameraucanas, I'd take him. That's what I think of him. [​IMG] He's very young but so far nice tail, nice breast, nice neck, beard is nowhere near as white as so many others I see, however he still has a serious "cottonball" issue with that tail. It's common though.

My two cents. [​IMG]

7. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Those saddle feathers aren't fully developed yet.

8. Gerry2011

Gerry2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I have a question. Everyone wants blue eggs. Which is great. I like and want them too, but I would like to have other colors such as pink, gold, olive etc. Would hens laying these be culled by most people who are breeding for blue. It seems back in the '70s the hatcheries sold the EEs as aruacanas (which they weren't), but my hens laid various colors which I'd like to have some now. I'm looking to get into the Ameraucana/Araucana breeds next spring, but still would like the offbeat colors, too. Guess my question is how can I find the odd colored egg layers? Love the pics of ya'lls birds. They are gorgeous![​IMG]

9. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    You could just buy some EEs fromthe feed store or a hatchery. Then you would have possibility for multi colored laying flock.

10. Gerry2011

Gerry2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Well, du-uh.....how come I never think of the obvious?!?!? [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by