Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. danniboi1990

danniboi1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    anybody crossed a araucana hen with a buff orpington rooster? ive got one waiting to hatch in my incubator.. just cant wait to see how he/she will look [​IMG]
  2. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:I know I'm not Jean but I have to comment - he really DOES look upset with you for taking his picture! Totally cute. I love him! [​IMG]
  3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Thanks! I assumed Dar told me to ask Jean because he gets eggs from her on occasion--and thus Blueballs would be her great-great grandchickie.
  4. ByN8ureHomstead

ByN8ureHomstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I have 6 blues that are a cross from Black Orpington Roo and blues and splash Ameraucana. I can't tell them apart from my non crossed Ameraucana.
  5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:I think you're getting Araucana confused. [​IMG] You probably have Easter Eggers, which yes, plenty people have crossed those two. The result comes out to be green egg laying birds with a mostly buff color, little bit of black on them though, and white legs. [​IMG]
  6. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

When I advertise I always put "True" Ameraucanas in my ad. People seem to understand that. I also have a good source for finding homes for unwanted roosters I can't sell. Our local feed store takes them (they have special cages set up inside the store) and they are usually all snapped up by the end of the day! I guess seeing the birds in person, people are vulnerable to impulse buying! I don't care if the feed store makes money on them, I just want to see them get a pet home [​IMG]
  7. blackbirds13

blackbirds13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Southern New Hampshire
    Quote:That is awesome...wish we had that opportunity here. lucky, lucky - I wouldn't care if the store made money on them either. I have a large splash copper I may have to let go and the thought he may become dinner is really heartbreaking and has kept him off Craigslist so far.
  8. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Quote:Just as Jean said. I also noticed that the black males feather pretty slowly. At about 6 weeks - 8 weeks they will still not have back feathers and they will be a bit bigger. The combs will be noticable red as well.

9. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010

10. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010

more family photos.

2 of these ladies found a new boyfriend today...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by