Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:Also there's a lot of folks breeding for olive eggers these days if you want really dark green.

2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Sooooooooooo SAD!!! Went out to let the chickens out of their coop this morning and my broodies 5 eggs she'd been sitting on are gone!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] No sign or trace, no cracked shells or anything... JUST GONE! [​IMG]

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:[​IMG] Oh noo!! That is awful!! So sorry!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

~ Aspen

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Sorry WMR [​IMG] Seems like that is happening to alot of people this week. One of my customers just lost all the eggs but one that was pipped, so I'm hoping to hear that it survived. [​IMG] darn racoons.

5. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Quote:Don't know what happened and I feel your pain. [​IMG] I had a simalr situation happening - no sign at all. Then I caught her! My broody had dried yolk on her beak. Why would she do that?

6. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    The weird thing is that the coop was totally closed up. It must have been something small... rat? squirrel? to have gotten in there. AND I'm surprised I didn't hear anything... I would have thought she would have tried to protect them. [​IMG]

7. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Snake, maybe.

8. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Possibly snake, but I don't think we have that many egg eating snakes out this way.

9. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    So sorry about your loss! Snake was what I was thinking, too. That's a lot of eggs for one snake to swallow, though. If it was a snake, it must have had a hard time getting back out of the small hole that it got in. I have heard of people finding the snake with an egg bump curled up in a corner of their coop. I would check your coop for small holes and lethargic snakes.

10. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    We had a black snake eat over a dozen eggs in one day, and then went to sleep on the ladders with the hens. I was in and out of the coop 3 times and never saw it until the girls starting making a rukus at night. Mine weren't broody eggs though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by