Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    Quote:sorry buddy, ugh!

I am guessing snake or chupacabra...

2. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL

Cari would be the prettiest lookin' "buddy" you've ever seen. [​IMG]

Sorry about the loss Cari, its hard to say if she ate them [shells and all] or what............................. but if she did you will find the dried clumps of nest bedding from the whites. I caught a bull snake in my coop last night that was just over 4 ft long, but not sure why it was there. It had got hung in some 1/2" nylon bird netting above a gate several hens use to roost on; they were screaming, the inside dogs were barking, and at 1 a.m. I was out in the coop trying to figure what the commotion was......................... almost never saw it untill I saw the net moving back and forth next to my head. It was long, but slender enough to get its head started through the net in two holes and couldn't get out.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  3. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Thanks Steve. [​IMG]

I'm 100% positive they were not eaten inside the coop. No shells, no clumps, no whites, no mess, nothing.

We had a squirrel over a month back that was stealing our Delaware eggs but we shot it and no more eggs went missing. It must be back. Or it's progeny. [​IMG] That's the only thing I could think of besides a snake.

I'm just surprised she didn't make noise. She was wandering around looking forlorn and lost and now I haven't seen her back on the nest. [​IMG]

Such a bummer as they were just about 10 days away from hatching. [​IMG]

Man I hate squirrels.

This means revenge.

4. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis

Cari would be the prettiest lookin' "buddy" you've ever seen. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

you speak the truth, all the "buddys" I know either wear dickies and have name tags sewn on their shirts or they walk on all fours.

5. Nimby Chickens

Nimby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2010
    Central FL
    Quote:Here is one. Daddy is a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana, Hen was a Salmon Faverolle....

He has 5 toes on each foot, feathers on his legs and was beautiful until I sent him to my cousin's farm in far west Phoenix.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/10376_img_0219.jpg

Lovely!!! What a good-lookin guy!

I think I would actually love to start purposefully breeding the two birds. Call it an Amerolle or a Favaucana! I just love the shape and color of the Ameraucanas, and of course the blue eggs but the personality of the Faverolles and the fuzzy legs and toes are just awesome. I'd love to combine the two. Might even be able to get to the point where we can sex link them like the salmons which is a major draw.

Who's with me? [​IMG] lol

6. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    So today I put poison down the squirrel holes, set live traps baited with chicken feed and eggs, and sat out there for a few hours with my gun.

Gonna do the same again tomorrow... what do they say? War is hell...

7. cpartist

cpartist Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    Alachua County FL
    Quote:Watch out....Cari is locked and loaded [​IMG]

[​IMG] so sorry you lost your hatchlings.

8. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Quote:Thanks Luanne. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  9. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    There's a squirrel that gets in my silkie coop from time to time. For some reason my silkies do not like corn. So any corn in the mix that I feed them gets left on the ground lol. Which in return attracts the squirrels. Cause they wanna eat it.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  10. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

There is a conversation started over on one of the Marans threads about Blue on Blue often coming with genetic deformities - issues with eyes, too small or non-existant in particular. Does this show up in Ameraucanas as well?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by