Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. stitch_b

stitch_b Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    Quote:Not really a common thing. I had some issues when I had one roo to 15 hens, but now I keep 2 or 3 roos over 20 hens and fertility has been perfect. Do you mark your eggs? Maybe its just one hen that likes to hang out away from the group?

Well they were shipped eggs from a breeder. On my last try I had blue Wheaton and some EE eggs. The EE's developed and I had all clears on the wheatons. This time I got the same thing plus some buff americauna from the same breeder and everything had some development exempt the wheatons which were all clears again [​IMG]... just thought it was weird that only the wheatons had no development at all both times.

2. stitch_b

May 28, 2011
    ETA: oops double post!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Not really a common thing. I had some issues when I had one roo to 15 hens, but now I keep 2 or 3 roos over 20 hens and fertility has been perfect. Do you mark your eggs? Maybe its just one hen that likes to hang out away from the group?

Well they were shipped eggs from a breeder. On my last try I had blue Wheaton and some EE eggs. The EE's developed and I had all clears on the wheatons. This time I got the same thing plus some buff americauna from the same breeder and everything had some development exempt the wheatons which were all clears again [​IMG]... just thought it was weird that only the wheatons had no development at all both times.

If it's ONLY the wheatens, especially ALL of the wheatens, then I'd say they have an issue with thier roo.

4. stitch_b

May 28, 2011
    Quote:Well they were shipped eggs from a breeder. On my last try I had blue Wheaton and some EE eggs. The EE's developed and I had all clears on the wheatons. This time I got the same thing plus some buff americauna from the same breeder and everything had some development exempt the wheatons which were all clears again [​IMG]... just thought it was weird that only the wheatons had no development at all both times.

If it's ONLY the wheatens, especially ALL of the wheatens, then I'd say they have an issue with thier roo.

Yea could be maybe too many hens like you said earlier. Once I get done with the hatch ill send both breeders a report just for their records! I will definitely be happy with the buffs but it would have been nice to have a bbs in the yard too! O well maybe next year!

5. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Look who has decided to be broody again...

[​IMG]

Of course I gave Judy eggs, 5 Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Olive Eggers and 2 BBS English Orpingtons. [​IMG]

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Well congrats. Don't y'all love how broody Wheaties and Blue Wheaties are? [​IMG] [​IMG]

My second girl just started squatting for me after a long broody period (over nothing) then a break, and, well, my Buff boy was so excited to meet her, he kinda scared her with all his constant dancing and nest-making. He's such a hoot and gentleman.

7. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    It has been the year of the roo for me this year or at least as far as wheaten ameraucanas go. I have had plenty of pullets of other breeds, anywho...

I hatched out 4 small lots of W and BW eggs over a 5 month period, and think every chick was a boy [​IMG]. I finally thought I had a girl with the last set. This chick hatched out with 3 stunningly beautiful blue wheaten brothers, that have since gone to good homes.
    I kept this one as I was pretty sure she was a girl. Now her/his feathers are darkening and I am thinking ether a roo or an EE. She/he should not be an ee as the eggs came from a great source, so I am thinking maybe splash roo???

Pleeeeeease could you guys who know put me out of my misery and let me know one way or the other.

Edited to add that it hatched June 3rd so 8 weeks now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:If it's a pure Ameraucana (which it looks like it is) it's definitely a pullet. A Splash Wheaten male would have much, much more color at this point. Lots of red and orange in the hackles, back and saddles would indicate a SW boy. I think you're safe with this one!

9. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:Well she's no good Jeremy, better send her down to me [​IMG]

10. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:Yes, very much so actually. It gives me another opportunity to hatch eggs that I otherwise would be "banned" from hatching. [​IMG]

Judy was an excellent mother the first time around, the funny thing is she's only quit being a momma for about a month now and she's already back at it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by