Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:Very good Jean! They are from Paul Smith and the one Wheaten rooster is from you.

I agree about culling the wheaten pullet with all the ticking. Thanks SO much for your opinion [​IMG]

The one that you think could be a splash has the blue in her tail to the inside of the feathers, so when she is excited it hardly shows. Here is a picture of her relaxed, dust bathing and then standing.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/54909_p1080597.jpghttps://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/54909_p1080666.jpg

I was afraid that you would think the one was a wheaten instead of a blue wheaten. It is a poor picture of her. She is indeed a blue wheaten with probably too light of a head and a pinched tail, but a favorite of mine since she is super friendly and has a great muff. Here is a picture of her when she was much younger. Her blue has darkened up a lot.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/54909_p1070139.jpg

I can see the blue now.

I got some birds from a friend this year that are from Paul and I really like them. (She just wanted his blacks.)

Enjoy your birds! I think you will be happy with them and have a good start there.

PS I like the blue wheaten boy on the top left the best. Can you look at his toe punch and tell me where it is. I want to see if I got any hens from that pen.

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    If you put a silver roo over white, what will you get? i got bantam white eggs from Jerry Segler and he had been working on a project, but offered to put his white roo back in for me to get pure white bantam eggs. I knew there was a chance to get another color, so that's just fine with me. All but 2 in the hatch were white. One looked black at hatch and the other silver. But now the black chick is showing almost a barring pattern on it's feathers.

chest feathers showing a pattern
    [​IMG]

wing feathers are solid so far
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    That depends on what is under the white genes of the white bird. White ameraucanas are recessive, so it depends on what it was covering.

The bird will probably be black with with some white hackles and saddles if it is a male. May be barred to, my lines carry barring. (I'm trying to get rid of it)

4. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Here is a pic of what I thought was our BW pullet. This is from last week when she was 17 weeks old. Her name is Cossette and we got her from Jeremy. I need to wait for my chicken whisperer 10 yr old daughter to get up to help me catch her to look more closely at her wings.

[​IMG]

5. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Well it should be interesting to see how this little one comes along. Thanks for your reply! [​IMG]

6. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:Debi, she's getting to be a big girl now, isn't she? I think Cosette is from my Blue Wheaten hen Judy. Her body and face, specifically he "long" beard looks like her mother's. Judy lacks tail color but I kept her because of her type and egg color, also because she makes an excellent mother. Judy is sitting on her second clutch of eggs this year.

[​IMG]

The easiest way to tell whether or not Cosette is BW or SW is to open her wing feathers and look for the color there. If you see any Blue/gray she is BW. If all you see are white feathers, then she is Splash Wheaten.

7. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

pips&peeps :

Quote:Very good Jean! They are from Paul Smith and the one Wheaten rooster is from you.

I agree about culling the wheaten pullet with all the ticking. Thanks SO much for your opinion [​IMG]

The one that you think could be a splash has the blue in her tail to the inside of the feathers, so when she is excited it hardly shows. Here is a picture of her relaxed, dust bathing and then standing.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/54909_p1080597.jpghttps://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/54909_p1080666.jpg

I was afraid that you would think the one was a wheaten instead of a blue wheaten. It is a poor picture of her. She is indeed a blue wheaten with probably too light of a head and a pinched tail, but a favorite of mine since she is super friendly and has a great muff. Here is a picture of her when she was much younger. Her blue has darkened up a lot.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/54909_p1070139.jpg

I can see the blue now.

I got some birds from a friend this year that are from Paul and I really like them. (She just wanted his blacks.)

Enjoy your birds! I think you will be happy with them and have a good start there.

PS I like the blue wheaten boy on the top left the best. Can you look at his toe punch and tell me where it is. I want to see if I got any hens from that pen.​

Here it is . . The slit is on the right foot, furthest web and is the same on all 3 of the BW roosters pictured. This guys color is so much clearer/solid than the other two roosters. No red in his tail either.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

THANKS Jean!

Candy

8. dak

dak geek dvm

Mar 21, 2010
    Can someone post a pic of a properly colored Wheaten male's beard please.
    Clare

9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:I guess I deleted the front- facing pic when my GFM ran out last time, btu his beard was almost solid black:
    [​IMG]

10. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    Nice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by