Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Thanks HappyMtn! I agree, the first wheaten girl is the nicest of the bunch. I appreciate that you always have nice things to say
big_smile.png

I hope someone can give me a tough evaluation. I can take it
lol.png
I need to learn the ins and outs of this breed if I'm to get anywhere with them
thumbsup.gif

My opinion is that they are probably from Paul Smith's lines and they are looking pretty good. I would let the boys grow out a bit more before you make any decisions. The top pullet on the right is probably one I would be letting go because of the ticking in the hackles.

On the second row of pullets, the one on the right looks like it could be a splash. The one on the left looks like it could be wheaten, with poor tail color. Have you opened up their wings to check the color there? In the photo the one on the left has a very dark area of feathers on the wing that looks black, that is why I ask.
smile.png

How do you tell the difference between a BW pullet and a splash pullet? I thought that pullet was a BW but she is very light colored and looks a lot like Chickee's splash pullet. I'll have to upload a recent pic and post it.

Quote:
The one in the first picture is very pale and if you look at the second picture bird you can see bright colored eyes and skin. It is an indicator of health. I raise hundreds or birds every year and some just aren't "thrifty".

As for the lighting issue, I don't belive that is the case. You generally do not get the same lighting problem in two different pictures of the same bird in different positions. Here is a photo from another thread SEMCNABB started.

It appears to me that the bird does in fact have a "splotch" on it.

98429_2011_348.jpg

Quote:
A blue wheaten has blue tail feathers and blue feathers in the fold of the wing and on the tips of the primary wing feathers. A splash will have white.

If pick up your bird and spread out the wings you can easily tell by those feathers in the fold what color the bird is. Sometimes it is hard to tell the difference between a wheaten and a blue wheaten.

Well, that's it. My ONE Buff chick is now dead somewhere. My Wheaten mommy "taking care" has been doing a pretty terrible job, but yesterday morning I didn't see it nor hear a peep, so, I tossed her back into the girl's pasture, and now, my Buff cockerel is alone once again. At least my second Wheatie is laying again, but, . . . . It's still really depressing to have NO Buff chicks, not even Buff x Wheaten. . . .

pips&peeps :

Quote:
A blue wheaten has blue tail feathers and blue feathers in the fold of the wing and on the tips of the primary wing feathers. A splash will have white.

If pick up your bird and spread out the wings you can easily tell by those feathers in the fold what color the bird is. Sometimes it is hard to tell the difference between a wheaten and a blue wheaten.

Thank you, Jean! I'm new to Ameraucanas so appreciate all the info I've gleaned from this thread. I'm going out to check right now and also see if I can snap some new pics of her. She is very shy and always at the back of the flock.​

Jean,
I agree, thanks for all of your insight and direction throughout this thread. There is a wealth of information that is likely better than most texts I have come across (sparse admittedly) and specific to Ameraucanas to boot.

Do you have any chicks left this year? When do you start shipping next year? Since I am facing a bunch of roo issues (LOL) I might just start over next spring and try again with a larger number of chicks to try and improve my pullet numbers. Are you working with BW, B, or BBS?

Thanks again,

Reed

pips&peeps :

My opinion is that they are probably from Paul Smith's lines and they are looking pretty good. I would let the boys grow out a bit more before you make any decisions. The top pullet on the right is probably one I would be letting go because of the ticking in the hackles.

On the second row of pullets, the one on the right looks like it could be a splash. The one on the left looks like it could be wheaten, with poor tail color. Have you opened up their wings to check the color there? In the photo the one on the left has a very dark area of feathers on the wing that looks black, that is why I ask.
smile.png

Very good Jean! They are from Paul Smith and the one Wheaten rooster is from you.

I agree about culling the wheaten pullet with all the ticking. Thanks SO much for your opinion
big_smile.png

The one that you think could be a splash has the blue in her tail to the inside of the feathers, so when she is excited it hardly shows. Here is a picture of her relaxed, dust bathing and then standing.
54909_p1080597.jpg
54909_p1080666.jpg

I was afraid that you would think the one was a wheaten instead of a blue wheaten. It is a poor picture of her. She is indeed a blue wheaten with probably too light of a head and a pinched tail, but a favorite of mine since she is super friendly and has a great muff. Here is a picture of her when she was much younger. Her blue has darkened up a lot.
54909_p1070139.jpg

Reed,

I am going to be trying to hatch another batch or two this year, but with the warmer weather fertility generally is an issue. I usually start shipping in late March since we are still usually cold up here for a bit longer than most of the other breeders, but I generally ship longer than most.

I breed large fowl blue, black, splash, buff, white, wheaten, blue wheaten, and am working on lavender and improving the silver variety. I also have bantam black.

By next spring I hope to have lots of 1/2 ameraucana chocolate birds to offer also.

Back
Top Bottom