Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Wow! Nice!

Finding properly colored Wheaten beards on males are hard, but honestly, I think finding properly blue beards from Blue Wheatens is even harder.

2. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

HappyMtn . . . He's gorgeous! [​IMG]

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Ahhhh I don't have him anymore. He was too rough on the small group of girls I gave him- and he didn't have clear hackles. Went to a flock of layers to make EEs.

4. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I'll bet he is making some beautiful EEs! I plan on using my wheaten rooster who didn't make the cut to make some pretty birds that lay good blue eggs [​IMG]

5. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Quote:Debi, she's getting to be a big girl now, isn't she? I think Cosette is from my Blue Wheaten hen Judy. Her body and face, specifically he "long" beard looks like her mother's. Judy lacks tail color but I kept her because of her type and egg color, also because she makes an excellent mother. Judy is sitting on her second clutch of eggs this year.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/jeremyjeremy07/ameraucana/IMG_3876.jpg

The easiest way to tell whether or not Cosette is BW or SW is to open her wing feathers and look for the color there. Ifvyou see any Blue/gray she is BW. If all you see are white feathers, then she is Splash Wheaten.

Thank you for posting the pic of Judy! Cossette does look a lot like her! Here is a pic of her right wing. The blue on some of her feathers means she is a BW, right? She is just a lighter colored one without color on her tail so not the best for breeding? We aren't in the position to start a breeding flock anyway but I'm dreaming of being able to down the road. I've got my fingers crossed that Cossette will lay as nice a blue egg as her mother! :)

[​IMG]

6. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
  7. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
  8. dak

dak geek dvm

Mar 21, 2010
    Quote:What line(s) is he from?

He was Anthony Garner's, but he's since retired from the wheatens. I made some nice birds with him last year.

Thank you for posting the picture. [​IMG]
    Clare

9. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Anybody have details about the show/fair in Nashville this weekend? I don't even know what to look up [​IMG]

10. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

Nashville is not having their fair till Sept. Are you meaning the Wilson county fair? Wilson county starts on the 12 th just google Wilson county fair it should pop up [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by