Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Overrun With Chickens

Jun 19, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Man that's crazy... was there any REAL AM's in the mix to be judged against the EE's? Someone should say something... send an anonymous email or something. [​IMG]

2. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    That is so hard to believe that the Ameraucana owners didn't knock her down using a copy of the Standards book!
    I am starting my showing, is it protocol to just sit idly by when such an egregious miscarriage of fairness is purported against you? What can be done?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  3. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:It happens ALL the time at fairs though. I know ours is always bad. In fact, for my son's static exhibit this year, he is entering his Ameraucana breed poster, which talks about the differences between Ams and EEs... [​IMG]

4. Dearsrock

Dearsrock Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    S CA
    Quote:Just a thought, I found a great way to deter and sometimes take out squirrels by accident this year. I ran an electric wire around my garden about an inch or so above the ground and used a 5 mile charger. It was meant only to deter, but I've found at least 10 dead squirrels (and lots of rats and mice, and a few moles). There are probably a few more ways of using electricity, if you want to get creative. Good luck!

Renee
    S CA

5. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    Okay, don't throw rocks at me or anything.[​IMG] The only disqualifications listed in my APA Standard of perfection specifically for ameraucanas is presence of ear tufts and absence of muffs. Any other disqualifications are the general DQ's listed that apply to about all breeds including comb, wing and foot issues and wry or squirrel tails. My S.O.P. is 10 years old, so maybe more has been added?

Perhaps the things exhibited by the other birds were considered a "fault" and not necessarily a DQ?

Like I said, don't throw rock at me yet. I'm putting this out there because I want to learn, too. I have black, silver, lavender and wheaten ameraucanas and I can appreciate the work the breeders have been doing to get the ameraucana breed recognized on it's own and not have all "colored egg layers" lumped in with their breed.

I think there is a large population out there that is not educated about varieties, so if it lays a colored egg it is this or that, and they use Easter Egger, auracana and ameraucana interchangeably. Thus, anything that lays a colored egg to them is an Easter Egger. Maybe this is a separate issue that the judging issue at the fair, but it kind of overlaps, I guess.

Maybe it would be less confusing to the general public if we called Easter Eggers something else. MixMutts maybe?

6. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Overrun With Chickens

Jun 19, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:
    I disagree, it would be less confusing to the public if Easter Eggers were not called and sold as Ameraucanas. [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Loco Chikin Rancher

Loco Chikin Rancher Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2009
    The Dry Side of Orygun
    Quote:You got that right!

8. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    Quote:You got that right!

Yes, that is part of what I'm saying.

9. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:But if someone entered a buff orp that was obviously a mixed breed with completely wrong feather color, a different kind of comb and the wrong color legs, wouldn't you expect it to be DQ'd?

10. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    The last show I went to there was a cuckoo marans entered as a barred rock and nobody noticed.

My phone is ringing off the hook today for BWs. Kinda odd for a Wednesday. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by