Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

My first thought if NONE of the eggs from the hens HE is covering are fertile....it is him. Is he covering anyone else? If I am getting some fertile eggs from him, THEN I think the HENS are ups to something. Sometimes they just don't like the roo or they HIDE from him. I had some WL that just stayed in the coop and didn't come out. I don't think they liked my Wheaten roo. They are out running with the Lavenders
hu.gif
. Sometimes the roos need to LEARN what to do. If the hens are older and will not squat for him, I will put him with some younger girls that might be more willing to let him practice.

If you have fertility problems in your breeding pens (30% is a problem) you need to replace your Roo. (you should always have a back up roo)Give him a break on free range for a few months and try again, or freezor camp time. Some males do not do well on high protein and layer rations. The free ranging might get him back to norm.

Wyndotties have a predisposition to hold fat..I would consider holding those BOSS from them. Fat on a hen reduces the likely hood of years of healthy laying and fertility. It sounds like you are feeding a great feed.

I am sure you will have this figured out soon. Good luck and good hatching.

My first thought if NONE of the eggs from the hens HE is covering are fertile....it is him. Is he covering anyone else? If I am getting some fertile eggs from him, THEN I think the HENS are ups to something. Sometimes they just don't like the roo or they HIDE from him. I had some WL that just stayed in the coop and didn't come out. I don't think they liked my Wheaten roo. They are out running with the Lavenders
hu.gif
. Sometimes the roos need to LEARN what to do. If the hens are older and will not squat for him, I will put him with some younger girls that might be more willing to let him practice.

The Silver roo is in with 2 Silver hens from his same breeding and age, he also has a young Speckled Sussex, a coming 3yr old Wyandotte and 2 Blue Ams/EE girls that are a little older than him. I have seen him mount at least one Silver, these girls are so similar it's hard to tell them apart. Their eggs at the moment are different. One lays a bigger rounder egg, the other is still laying a pullet egg.
Checked by opening this morning... larger Silver hen eggs not fertile, pullet eggs fertile... Have only been incubating the bigger eggs... go figure. Fertility in both blue hens, hatching has shown this to be true. Fertility in SS young hen.
I let them out to free range today, keeping the BW rooster separated.
I think I will see if them having some freedom free ranging will help, give them some time to grow. Give them some forage... and check again later.

Dbl post I'll edit in some pics

[/IMG]

Sry my phone takes crappy pics. And in the last pic there looks like allot of poop but its that greenish blue papper bedding

Last edited:
I have a blue Ameracauna hen, and a Black Copper Maran rooster. I'm curious to know if anyone here has ever breeded these two together before, and if so, what was the result in the chicks?

I believe people are calling them olive egger.
Ok, so any hen offspring from the two would lay olive eggs. Good to know! What about the coloring of the chicks themselves? I'm hoping someone here has had experience with breeding a Blue Ameracauna with a BCM rooster, who can share what their offspring would look like, and share some pictures too...

Here is my lone little wheaten chick that hatched (right in the middle). I have a lav and a black split that hatched, too.

And my 3 white pullets that are so dirty from FF!

Ok, so any hen offspring from the two would lay olive eggs. Good to know! What about the coloring of the chicks themselves? I'm hoping someone here has had experience with breeding a Blue Ameracauna with a BCM rooster, who can share what their offspring would look like, and share some pictures too...
They will be black copper and blue copper with less copper because of the hens.

Back
Top Bottom