Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

My latest hatch...
love.gif

Six Black Ameraucanas from Dak, two W/BW Ameraucanas from my own stock and four Silver Campines. Everybody is happy and healthy!

New to Ameraucana's. These three sweeties hatched 5-1-13. I got these eggs from jerryse. I am a fan already, these chicks have such a calm, human friendly personality. One is larger and yellow, two are smaller and -silver--->sorry I dont know the correct term. I told my husband if we ever had house chickens that these would be the ones....he just rolled his eyes at me....LOL.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
goodpost.gif

I let shipped eggs sit for at least 12 hours after unpacking. Due to work schedule it is not unusual to let them sit 24 hours. I think that letting them settle BEFORE putting them into the bator is critical, and after that they get turned on the hour for the next 18-19 days. Turning moves waste products away from the embryo and mixes the egg contents, both of which is essential for development.
Then I resist candling as much as possible and make it super brief. Usually check them at 7 or 10 days and toss the duds, and then maybe briefly at lockdown to just check for early quitters. Locking down on late quitters is no big deal, they just don't hatch (obviously).

Hatch rates on shipped eggs have been surprisingly good with this method. The only type of detached cell that I have never got to hatch is when there are free air bubbles in the egg.

Last edited:
Ok, so any hen offspring from the two would lay olive eggs. Good to know! What about the coloring of the chicks themselves? I'm hoping someone here has had experience with breeding a Blue Ameracauna with a BCM rooster, who can share what their offspring would look like, and share some pictures too...

I just set 7 eggs from such a cross in my hatcher, due on 5/6. I am hoping the chicks come out blue. I already have a bunch of black ones from the Black Copper Marans male crossed with my Black Ameraucana, but I wanted some chicks from the blue Ameraucana. She was trying her best to avoid that male, who is twice her size, but he finally bred her since these 7 eggs are fertile.

I just set 7 eggs from such a cross in my hatcher, due on 5/6. I am hoping the chicks come out blue. I already have a bunch of black ones from the Black Copper Marans male crossed with my Black Ameraucana, but I wanted some chicks from the blue Ameraucana. She was trying her best to avoid that male, who is twice her size, but he finally bred her since these 7 eggs are fertile.
Goody! Please post some pics when they hatch!
big_smile.png

Posted this on the what breed/sex thread and someone suggested trying over here. Bought this chick at day old, started out black with black legs. Person I got it from said it was a blue egg laying ameraucana due to the black legs. I did see his other birds there laying those eggs. At 8 weeks it looks like this. I'm thinking this one is a roo due to the long tail, thick legs and comb starting, also pretty feisty. Pic below is Brownie and hatchmate Carmel (brahma). Starting to wonder if they are both roos. Kinda new at this and these are the first two different breeds I have had. Thanks for your advice.

Back
Top Bottom