Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I believe he is Wheaten (not Blue Wheaten, the black would be gray (Blue)).  Crossed with Wheaten or Blue Wheaten girls you would get more Wheaten or Blue Wheaten.  Not a dumb question, and a genuine concern because you wouldn't want to cross the colors because it makes a mess.  Wheaten/Blue Wheaten/Splash Wheaten work the same as Black/Blue/Splash, just on a Wheaten background instead of a Black one.

Thank you so much for your help :) I will start my search for some wheaten pullets to give him some company

Wouldn't winter be a splash wheatan ameraucana? Hatched from a pure set of wheatan eggs, maybe more coloring will come thru next molt? Winter Does seem like a roo to me, I'd wait to breed him if that's your plan and possibly not at all, but I do believe you can breed wheatan and blue wheatan and .tstill get pure chicks, not EE's. The splash gene I am still working on, this one confused me because it is still pure but not an accepted color :/ so for breeding purpose it is my understanding stays pure whether bred to a wheatan or blue wheatan- but the percentages/ratios of possible hatch color changes depending on parent color, so splash is still used, I just can't recognize a true splash vs EE. You have a prime example if these were pure eggs (no mix up or free egg of choice added sorta thing) so pretty- I would only expect to see more of a "splash" of color-so white the hackles almost sparkle lol wheatans are complicated but still awesome :)
Here are photos to go with my questions on page 2143. ▲ Duncan hatched early April 2013 (he wasn't included in the post, but he sits so nicely for pictures) and our Buckeye pullet (although I'm still not sure about that) Roo in the background. ▲&▼ Angel also hatched early April 2013 ▲Summer's hackles, hatched end of May 2013 (to the best of my knowledge, same with Autumn and Winter) ▲Autumn ▲Winter Winter's Saddle ▲Better view of winter's comb and neck ▲Summer's saddle ETA: Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with my questions.

Last edited:
Wouldn't winter be a splash wheatan ameraucana? Hatched from a pure set of wheatan eggs, maybe more coloring will come thru next molt?
Winter Does seem like a roo to me.
I believe "Winter" the cockerel would be called an "off white" Wheaten, I had a pullet a couple of years ago and it was discussed here on the thread. These are a genetic oddity to this point unexplained and should not be used for breeding. I also talked with Wayne Meredith about it and he concurred.

Mine went to my OE group and has produced some nice chicks. Others simply cull the birds, pretty rare but they do pop up occasionally.

Last edited:
Thanks...great info, ill go back and look for it :)
Maaaaan, silly wheatans. So there is a 4th genetic possibility...ug. lol
Feels like college again. Study study study Bam! New fact :/ lol
I believe "Winter" the cockerel would be called an "off white" Wheaten, I had a pullet a couple of years ago and it was discussed here on the thread. These are a genetic oddity to this point unexplained and should not be used for breeding. I also talked with Wayne Meredith about it and he concurred.

Mine went to my OE group and has produced some nice chicks. Others simply cull the birds, pretty rare but they do pop up occasionally.

Thanks...great info, ill go back and look for it
smile.png

Maaaaan, silly wheatans. So there is a 4th genetic possibility...ug. lol
Feels like college again. Study study study Bam! New fact
hmm.png
lol
Quote: Yes, I know exactly what you mean - chicken genetics are like that. A + B will equal C unless modified by D or possibly by X ... ugh!

Hi all, I had a question regarding our one Amerucana. I'll give a little history, just so it's there. We purchased 3 blue wheaten "pullets" about 2.5 months ago.
If you are planning on breeding the pullets, and Winter came from the same source, you might want to keep Winter and do a test breeding. The results might help you decide where you go in your breeding program. The great thing about a chicken breeding program (as opposed to something like a dog breeding operation) is that you can eat the culls. Just a thought.

If you are planning on breeding the pullets, and Winter came from the same source, you might want to keep Winter and do a test breeding. The results might help you decide where you go in your breeding program. The great thing about a chicken breeding program (as opposed to something like a dog breeding operation) is that you can eat the culls. Just a thought.

I strongly disagree with this, you will be rebreeding the bad genes into your line and thus it will pop up more frequently and the offspring would be more likely to produce it even when mated to an outside source. I would not use the bird.

I strongly disagree with this, you will be rebreeding the bad genes into your line and thus it will pop up more frequently and the offspring would be more likely to produce it even when mated to an outside source. I would not use the bird.
I advocated a test breeding. When doing a test breeding, you are seeking to find genetic problems that are not being expressed. None of the resulting offspring should be put back into the breeding program. Assume the white is recessive (since someone referred to it popping up every once in awhile, it must be recessive or the mofifying genes have some impact, but solving a modifying gene problem gets really tricky), if you take the white and breed it back to the normal colored pullets, you might find that they, too, are carriers. If the pullets turn out to be carriers, they can be eliminated from the breeding program. If you have a genetic problem, it is easier to deal with knowing where the genes are coming from.

I watched a very big, successful Collie kennel use test breeding to try to eliminate a common (recessive) genetic blindness from her kennel. It was a heartbreaking to watch. At least with chickens you can cull them right over to freezer camp.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom