Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

First hatch out of my own birds this past weekend! 10 of 11 made it out! I am interested to know if blacks turn out better from chicks with darker coloring or with more yellow on the face? Or does it seem to not make a difference?
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Hello Ameraucana breeders!

I would like some feedback from you all on some lavenders since I don't know of many breeders around here.
There is a breeder who's stock has made it to my area but I'm feeling cautious about purchasing any since I'm not sure what to think of the quality. Here are a couple pictures

These are not my birds or pictures

I do know that some of the offspring are beardless which concerns me as I want good quality Lavenders since I've already had someone sell me a couple chicks then tell me afterwards that they had EE blood and one of them ended up with a misshapen hunchback and had to be culled.
Now there is a another breeder nearby with some nice BBS Ameraucanas this year who have nice beards and combs, would it be a good idea to get some black chicks and then pick out the lav chicks with the best beards and work with them a little to get my desired bird? Or is it not worth my time?

I would like some feedback from you all on some lavenders since I don't know of many breeders around here.
There is a breeder who's stock has made it to my area but I'm feeling cautious about purchasing any since I'm not sure what to think of the quality. Here are a couple pictures

I do know that some of the offspring are beardless which concerns me as I want good quality Lavenders since I've already had someone sell me a couple chicks then tell me afterwards that they had EE blood and one of them ended up with a misshapen hunchback and had to be culled.
Now there is a another breeder nearby with some nice BBS Ameraucanas this year who have nice beards and combs, would it be a good idea to get some black chicks and then pick out the lav chicks with the best beards and work with them a little to get my desired bird? Or is it not worth my time?
I wouldn't be too concerned with some hatching clean faced, without muffs and beards. The gene is dominant and with proper selection of breeders the problem can be corrected.
FYI...the photo of the cock looks like his muffs/beard were picked out by the hens.

Last edited:

While it is possible to breed back to correct muffs and beards, why re-invent the wheel? There are several breeders that have gorgeous self-blues available now. @pips&peeps @OnceInaBlueMoon @RavynFallen are just a few that I can think of off the top of my head. You can find more on the breeders directory: ameraucanabreedersclub.org/breedersdirectory.html

Good luck in your search!

Last edited:
Just sharing a spring picture because we've finally had two mostly dry days and I could actually get a LF hen to stand still

Here is the second photo, doesn't show up on my other post

Congratulations! What colors did u hatch out?
I'm going to pair my dark blue with my two blues and one black! And, I have a beautiful blue wheaten, Eve, with zero leakage& a wheaten hen with some leakage. Planning to breed my blue wheaten to my blue wheaten Eve, for sure!

Back
Top Bottom