Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I am getting an Ameraucana Silver Roo from a lady in my state. . .to all you knowledgeable Ameraucana keeper/breeders...What the heck is up with this comb? I have never seen a pea comb like this and I am afraid that he is an EE.

Attachments

• IMG_1558.JPG
    IMG_1558.JPG
    626.9 KB · Views: 31
I am getting an Ameraucana Silver Roo from a lady in my state. . .to all you knowledgeable Ameraucana keeper/breeders...What the heck is up with this comb? I have never seen a pea comb like this and I am afraid that he is an EE.
He's Silver Ameraucana, but he's a cull. Messy through the chest, should be solid black. And the comb is too big. There is a reason the breeder is getting rid of him. He's not suitable for a breeding program. If you aren't interested in breeding Silver Ameraucana, he's just fine.

That comb probably is carrying single comb gene as a recessive . Not the best specimen however the hen seems to be a blue silver color . I see no sign of yellow skin or green legs . A place to start . With careful selection and breeding you could produce some nice birds . Start where you are with what you have .

She has another and 4 lavenders. I am not really interested in the lavs. How does the other look(probably not enough in pic to tell)?
I'm really just looking to make sex linked chicks for friends/family with the silver so no biggie.
I also have some "Silver Ameraucana" hens that i got off of craigslist (before I knew better).
I hatched them and as they grew it turns out she introduced some black after a fox attack killer her roo. Coloring is all jacked up.
Oh well its a hobby for me

Attachments

• IMG_1385.JPG
    IMG_1385.JPG
    360.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1557 (1).JPG
    IMG_1557 (1).JPG
    643.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1809.JPG
    IMG_1809.JPG
    494.7 KB · Views: 22
Question about EE's. Do you get an EE by crossing an Ameraucana with any other type of chicken? I have 1 blue Ameraucana roo and was considering trying to make EE's...sorry, I know this is an Ameraucana thread, not EE. :)

Yes... EE's are anything that can lay a color other than variations from white to brown... whether hatchery sourced, crosses or mixed color varieties, all can be considered EE's... even Legbar crosses...

@junebuggena do your count my Lavender ameracauna as a blue ? I know they are not a recognized colour

Lavender is in the works to be recognized as Self Blue... Self Blue is completely different than Blue (Anfaulsian Blue)...

Can be worked with, not ideal, but not the worst either...

That comb probably is carrying single comb gene as a recessive . Not the best specimen however the hen seems to be a blue silver color . I see no sign of yellow skin or green legs . A place to start . With careful selection and breeding you could produce some nice birds . Start where you are with what you have .

X2
Well said!

She has another and 4 lavenders. I am not really interested in the lavs. How does the other look(probably not enough in pic to tell)?
I'm really just looking to make sex linked chicks for friends/family with the silver so no biggie.
I also have some "Silver Ameraucana" hens that i got off of craigslist (before I knew better).
I hatched them and as they grew it turns out she introduced some black after a fox attack killer her roo. Coloring is all jacked up.
Oh well its a hobby for me

Comb looks better on him, too hard to see body... for good evaluation full profile side and front shots are best with bird not being held... :)

@jerryse She said they were lavender... I guess some people use the term interchangeably? even though they shouldn't. Maybe they are..maybe not . I have no education on the matter

No, those aren't interchangeable terms... blue silver is a project color...

From those pics, I would say the lavenders are carrying heavy silver leakage... thus why the hen looked like a blue silver...

I have my foot on two thoughts for this cockerel:
1- It's easy to make some BSL EE's for friends and family with my BR's
2- My boy is 2 and will be showing in a few years down the road, this will give me time to work on the birds. But maybe I will want him involved in the process of breeding for desirable traits?...

I have been e-mailing the lady that has them said "The major flaw in these roosters for showing is that they have a somewhat dropped wing carriage, and imperfect combs. The one with a better comb has more white in his chest. They both have good skin coloring."

Back
Top Bottom